8.5" Hitachi sliding miter saw: can it really cut a 1" by 12"?

I'm considering buying Hitachi's 8.5" SCM saw... most who have one seem to be happy with it. Literature seems to claim that a 1x12 lying flat and cut at 0 degrees (or 90, depending on your point of view) can be done without flipping the board over ... can anyone verify that? One of the jobs I have in mind is a good bit of basic shelf building using alot of 1x12's and smaller stuff.

I'll probably buy one anyway, but I'd like to know what to expect.

Reply to
aadeanb

Umm If it says that it will cut a 1x12 I strongly suspect that it will. I wonder if it really has a 8.5" blade.

Basically, if it will not cut a 1x12, take it back.

Reply to
Leon

Hell, two minutes in a store with a tape measure will confirm what it will cut. Considering what sliding miters cost, I'd sure be examining one in person if I had any doubts at all.

Reply to
Upscale

My BIL has a Hitachi SCMS with an 8.something blade. I assume it's the same saw. If the spec says it will cut a 1x12, then I see no reason to believe otherwise.

It is a very sweet tool.

-Steve

Reply to
C&S

I've had one for 10 years. yes it cuts a 1x12.

Reply to
marson

Haven't found one in a store or I'd have done that.

Reply to
aadeanb

Super. Thanks. I just found it hard to believe when most of the 10" ones out there only claim about the same max.

Reply to
aadeanb

Given that it's a slider, the width of cut can be totally independent of blade size.

However, a 10" would be able to cut thicker material (about 3/4" thicker, or half the difference in blade diameter).

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Keep in mind that the one you are looking at is probably spec'ed out to what is indicated on the box. With that however a 10 year old saw has probably changed design some what and may or may not have the same spec.

Reply to
Leon

Why? Is there some rule about how long the rail has to be on one of these?

Reply to
CW