Quiet, lightweight upholstery electric staple gun

Page 4 of 4
Lee Michaels wrote:

Are pancakes better than hotdogs?
Frozen North here recommended the Senco PC0973 Upholstery Compressor Combo Kit, which comes with a one-gallon, one-half horsepower, hotdog compressor ((Amazon.com product link shortened)).
How does that hotdog compare to the Campbell Hausfeld FP2028 1-Gallon Oil-Free Pancake Air Compressor With Accessory kit that Ed recommended ((Amazon.com product link shortened) )?
Robert

((Amazon.com product link shortened)

Senco has a very good reputation.
The differences are in output. The Senco is a bit higher, about .75 cfm as opposed to the .39 of the CH model. More money = more capacity. The higher the output, the shorter the run time to build air pressure. I don't know the corresponding noise levels though. Either one will suit your needs, the more expensive on will do so a little faster.
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 04:13:23 GMT, the infamous Robert Montgomery

Ingy runs up to 100psi. The staplers want up to 90psi, but I pump 100 through them with the little tank filled from Ingy.
I used the stapler/nailer today with 1-1/4" nails, trimming out a 6'x23' deck on one tank. Half-round around the bottoms of the posts and along the house and door threshold. I still had 72psi left after shooting, hmm, maybe 60 nails. It takes about 5 minutes to fill, getting noisier as the pump works harder at the top psi.
-- "Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein -=-=-
Lee Michaels wrote:

hook it up so I touched the wires to the battery of my dad's Traveall. Just about peed my pants it was so loud. Dropped the dang thing and both of us just stared at each other.
Max wrote:

Thanks.
So I guess there isn't even one model of electric staple gun on the whole world that would be suitable for stretching artists' canvas?
If only there were a suitable electric, I could avoid all the hassles of iimporting from the U.S. to Canada, plus the noise, clutter and lugging around a heavy compressor in my crowed apartment, building a box with soundpoofing and maybe even dealing with an extra tank in my crowded apartment and having the risk of being unhappy with the equipment, in which case I'd to return it to the store in the U.S. and pay a 20 percent restocking fee.
Robert
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 02:22:59 GMT, the infamous Robert Montgomery

Well, for 3/8" x 3/8" staples into softwood, you might be OK with an electric, but as you said, they're heavier. You really shouldn't need 400 staples for a 6-foot frame, though.

Canuckistani, are ya? Go to www.PrincessAuto.com for these things. Hmm, limited supply. Know any friends at the border? Find a nearby Harbor Freight store.

Build a little cart for the compressor and sonic box so they're on casters for easy movement.
-- "Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein -=-=-
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 13:34:41 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"

...as a package that looks like a decent deal...after reading the review I dunno...I have a Porter Cable US58T2 air-stapler that shoots #7 staples (as opposed to 22 guage crown staples) and it is the bomb. I bought it because I wasn't happy with a couple of electric units (probably didn't spend enough money on 'em?). Anyway, I've used it for light upholstering and even some indoor-outdoor applied to the deck of my truck...nice tool and great results.
cg
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 19:58:48 GMT, the infamous Robert Montgomery

Go with air and build a sonic box to put around the compressor.
Use the stapler to tack carpet inside a plywood box. Fill up the tank once and use that for hours.
-- Challenges are gifts that force us to search for a new center of gravity. Don't fight them. Just find a different way to stand. -- Oprah Winfrey
scrawled the following:

What about one of the CO2 tanks to supply the stapler, it sounds like the OP needs would be fairly minimal and depending on how sensitive/mean the neighbors are it might be a good option.
basilisk
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 07:04:01 -0500, the infamous "basilisk"

Yeah, that's one option, depending on the cost of rentals in his area. But what's he going to do when he finds out he wants to blow toast crumbs out his baby oven, clean the vacuum, dry his bbq grille, blow out the garage, and all the other good stuff compressors are for? He'd go through a whole tank in an hour. ;)
(Yeah, on the porch/balcony, of course.)
-- Challenges are gifts that force us to search for a new center of gravity. Don't fight them. Just find a different way to stand. -- Oprah Winfrey
Robert Montgomery wrote:

Leave the compressor outside and fill a portable air tank (I use a converted Freon bottle).
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 17:30:47 GMT, the infamous Robert Montgomery

Repeat after me: Electric staple guns don't work reliably.
Get a little compressor, an extra 5 gallon tank, and a $30 Harbor Freight 1/2" crown stapler (I love mine) and you're in business. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber572 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumbere594

Oh, the HF gun weighs about 2 pounds but feels closer to 1 pound. I use a lightweight 1/4" air line for the tank. It's even lighter than a copper cord for a corded tool like my drill.
I've also used my HF 1/4" crown stapler for upholstery to good effect. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber524
My 3/4HP Ingersoll Rand airless compressor will fill up the tank to 100psi. I can then take the tank and hose anywhere and run about 100 staples from the gun before needing a refill. It stops working well at roughly 50psi.
Something as small as this might be enough compressor for you. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber168
These items go on sale at HF all the time and you can often find them for half price.
-- Challenges are gifts that force us to search for a new center of gravity. Don't fight them. Just find a different way to stand. -- Oprah Winfrey
Larry Jaques wrote:

Thanks, Larry.
That stapler takes minimum 3/4-inch staples, which is at least twice as long as the longest staples I would use. I want short staples so that I can extract them easily if they don't seat properly.

How would the extra tank work with the compressor? How much noise do they make?

I hate challenges, because they make life very difficult. --Robert Montgomery
Robert
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 20:49:34 GMT, the infamous Robert Montgomery

I shoot half inchers it mine all the time. <shrug> For canvas, I think I'd prefer the (97572) 1/2" crown stapler. That's what I use for most upholstery work, like the barstool seatcovers and my dining set chairs. It's a nice little stapler, and is quieter than the others.

Ingy is noisy, as most airlesses are. I hook the tank up to the compressor and fill it, then turn the compressor off and use the tank wherever.
I keep saying I'm going to build the sonic box for my big HF compressor but I never get around to it. I step over the carpet for it all the time. <sigh> It's essentially a pair of open-ended, open- bottomed boxes, one larger than the other by 4" in width and 4" in height. The openings let air in (for cooling the compressor and providing the compressed air) and the carpeted innards take out about 9DB of noise, so the compressor is one eighth as noisy.
I should do that this weekend. I need to move that plywood anyway. <g>

Wuss. ;)
-- "Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein -=-=-