Quiet, lightweight upholstery electric staple gun

Page 1 of 4
What's a fairly quiet, lightweight upholstery electric staple gun that's powerful enough to penetrate pine?
I'm an artist and I need to stretch cotton canvas over pine stretcher bars.
I considered buying a quiet Duo-Fast E1C 3118A electric staple gun, but it's too heavy. I have to hold the stretcher bar frame vertically so I have one hand to pull the canvas tightly around the bars with canvas pliers, so my other hand and arm have to be up in the air to fire the staple gun, so that gun would be too heavy. It weighs 4.2 pounds.
I'm considering a Maestri C7 or #8 electric gun, which are lighter. Upholster.com says they're powerful enough to shoot staples into most hardwoods. But I don't know how loud they are. Does anyone know how loud they are compared to the Duo Fast gun?
I tried the Arrow electric lithium-ion battery cordless electric, but it's very loud and the staples didn't penetrate the wood all the way.
Thanks.
Robert
Add pictures here
✖
I would go with air power and get a Senco, p-tink.
On Mar 25, 10:30 am, Robert Montgomery <info-bl...@northern-data- tech.net> wrote:

Add pictures here
✖

I hope it's quieter than the medium crown stapler I used to put down underlayment. It was more like "BLAM!". :)
Chris
Add pictures here
✖

Less power, more quiet. More power, less quiet. A simple inverse relationship that will not change until some company stupidly comes up with a environmentally audio friendly design that will make the product even more costly. I suggest foam earplugs:
http://tinyurl.com/y86r7qg
These EAR earplugs are the best. From high power firing ranges to NHRA fuel dragsters, this is the one that will save yer ears. Screw tapered and round-end foam plugs. These are the ones and worth every freakin' cent!
nb
Add pictures here
✖
Thanks, Chris.
I'm working in my rental apartment suite, so it's not practical to ask my neighbours to wear earplugs.
Robert
notbob wrote:

Add pictures here
✖

Chris?
Heh... what the Hell, at least it's not bob. ;)
nb
Add pictures here
✖

he lost an attibution -- your post was to a reply by a Chris.
And I _am_ a "Bob", but I *insist* that people spell it with only one 'o'! <grin>
Add pictures here
✖
If you get any air compressor bundle, make sure you set the air pressure (regulator) no more than the limit recommended for the staple gun... or any other air tool you may use with the compressor. Recommended pressure for a tool should be noted in a tool's manual. Upholstery students have been known to ruin their staplers by not paying attention to pressure limits.
Sonny
Add pictures here
✖
I'm an upholsterer and I've had a Senco SWF10XP ($125) for 5 years. Excellent air stapler and it uses a variety of staple brands (Senco C, FASCO 7C, BEA 71, and others).
Sonny
Add pictures here
✖
Thanks, Sonoma.
Which Senco?
And which compressor? I'm concerned about the noise from the compressors, because I'm in a rental apartment building and I'm surrounded by other tenants that I'm concerned about disturbing. That's why I'm leaning toward an electric.
Robert
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 25, 12:58 pm, Robert Montgomery <info-bl...@northern-data- tech.net> wrote:

The ones I use are the blam type but of all the small nail guns and staple guns I've been around the senco's are the quietest, the porter cables the loudest. I would say the smallest model that shoots staples big enough for your task.
I would suppose what they call a pancake compressor would be plenty. You can often find combo packs.
I just did a google search on "amazon senco stapler and compressor" and the first hot is an upholstery bundle. (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Add pictures here
✖

Someone else may have some other ideas, but if you at least put the compressor on top of a couple layers or scrap carpet, it will help nullify some of the vibration going through the floor, when it is running, not so much for the noise though. Maybe putting the compressor on a balcony (assuming you have one) will help as well, after all just the hose & gun have to come inside.
--
Froz...

✖

bundle.(Amazon.com product link shortened)...- Hide quoted text -

That bundle looks great. Several upholstery students have similar set- ups and they are excellent. That compressor won't run too long, either, for a noise concern, especially if you pad the floor, as suggested.
If you have a canvas to attach, now, some small tacks should work just fine. Tacks are still often used in upholstery today, in tight places the stapler can't reach properly. I wouldn't recommend using aluminum tacks.
Sonny
Add pictures here
✖
Sonny wrote:

bundle.(Amazon.com product link shortened)...- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, Sonny.
I tried pushpins that I had at home to get an idea if tacks would work, but the wood is so hard that the prongs hardly penetrated the wood when I use my fingers, so hammering them in would be a lot of work.
So I returned the package of unopened tacks that I had bought recently to the hardware store.
Robert
Add pictures here
✖

I have that compressor and it's not as loud as a vacuum cleaner.
Max
Add pictures here
✖
Max wrote:

How often does it have to be noisy when you're stapling? I understand that the compressor would be noisy only when it's filling with air.
How noisy is it when it's running but not filling with air?
Robert
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 26, 1:51 pm, Robert Montgomery <info-bl...@northern-data- tech.net> wrote:

only noisy while pumping full of air. then it shuts off and waits until drainrd down far enough to need to pump again
Add pictures here
✖
wrote in message

Correct.
Once it's filled with air, it's quits running.

Hmm. It shuts off when the little tank fills. If you're concerned about it running for a "long" time, get a spare tank to fill as well. How often the compressor cycles on and off is going to depend on how "fast" you drive staples.
Max
Add pictures here
✖
"Robert Montgomery" wrote

you were only going to do this some of the time, why don't you just go to those air filling stations for the tires. You can then bring the tank home and staple with that.
You are not building houses or cabinets. Your needs are very modest. That is what some of the guys who air brush do, they just fill a tank and use that.
I had a friend who had a volkswagon and he got tired of people ignoring him. So he went to the junk yard and got an air horn from a big Mack truck. He then installed it in the car and put an air tank in there. The tank drove the air horn. Let a little air out and the horn made a BIG noise. When he went by the gas station, he would fill up the air tank. It would last him for months since the horn wasn't used that much.
And when he used it, it almost caused a panic! People kept looking around for a big truck! It definitely attracted attention. He was no longer ignored.
Same thing here. It doesn't take that much air to drive a staple. Unless you are going into commercial production, a little air will go a long way. (Kinda like off topic threads on the wreck)
Add pictures here
✖
Just to follow up on my previous comments onusing a small air tank to drive your stapler.
I have seen roofers and other tradesmans using tanks for small jobs. It is quicker and handier than setting up a compressor on site. And I saw one guy who put an inverter on his pickup and drove a compressor to fill his air tanks. Again, this is only for small jobs.
And if you are just going to build some frames from time to time, there are a lot of businesses in your neighborhood who have compressors. See if you can find somebody who will fill up a tank for five bucks or so. If you could find such an arrangement, it would be chaeper than buying a compressor for a couple years or so.
Again, everything depends on your actual air usage. The hardness of the wood, the length of the staple, the sharpness (quality) of the staple, etc., etc. How many frames will you build at one time, etc.
And hey, as an artist, you can paint your tank up to look like some kinda space age accessory! All the kids will think you are cool.
Add pictures here
✖