Question to those who hire WW speakers or speak/teach at clubs/schools

If you hire or recruit speakers, how do you usually contact them? Do you just contact people based on reputation? Do you ask for references? Do you hire only people who are published? Some folks know a lot about woodworking but are not good speakers.
If you give seminars or speak at clubs or teach at WW schools, how are you usually contacted? Do you have an agent or do people call, write, email?
I've been tasked with finding/hiring woodworking experts as speakers for some events and I'm looking for advice from experienced people on both sides. Thanks,
--
Pee Pee Firefighter

_\ _ /_
| | ||_________________________ |

Actually, there are still a few WW teachers out there-- Check with your local school district. Or have the gone the "technology" route too?
Phil:

I don't understand your comment. I'm not looking for school teachers, but professionals like Frank Klaas, Bob Flexner, etc. I'm wondering if there is a resource for hiring professional speakers.
--
Pee Pee Firefighter

_\ _ /_

Our club seems to enjoy having speakers chosen from amongst the alumni of the various woodworking and design programs in our region. College of the Redwoods, San Diego State (or maybe USCD), Calif College of the Arts, and the like. We also seem to get once or twice a year an author from Taunton or Stirling, with an interesting book to talk about.
Are you looking for someone to fill 90 minutes? Or ten class days? Local or 'imported'? Big name, or hands on? Technique, tools, design or marketing? Who's the audience, and why are they there? Who pays the tab?
All that, and more, makes a difference. As good as Kelly Mehler is with a table saw, after reading his book, and listening to him for 45 minutes, I'm ready for some new material. And he likely has new material to teach. But in a trade show setting, I'm not going to hear it.
Patriarch, never short of opinions, not all necessarily informed.
Pee Pee Phirefighter asks:

I don't know of any speaker's bureau for woodworkers, but you generally can reach a book's author through the publisher. Call and check is probably the best way...letters have a way of taking 6 months to reach anyone not employed by the particular publisher.
Charlie Self "Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened." Sir Winston Churchill
Charlie Self:

Thanks Charlie, I am wondering if it is usual to ask for references? I'm sure you have done some speaking, have you been asked for references or would you be offended if you were?
Just being an expert, or published, or well known, doesn't always translate to good speaking skills.
--
Pee Pee Firefighter

Pee Pee Phirephighter asks:

True enough. I'm a terrible public speaker, so I don't do any. 3-4 people, I'm fine, but once numbers get past half a dozen, I don't enjoy it any more. These days, if I don't enjoy, I try not to do it.
As far as asking for references goes, sure. I can't see anyone getting upset over that, except maybe guys like Ernie Conover and Doug Stowe and Lonnie Bird and others with nationwide reputations as teachers. And probably not even them.
Ask. If the guy, or gal, blows up, find another one.