Question sheet layout software

Page 1 of 2
I have a one-time small project that will use about three sheets of plywood. It has a total of about 25 parts. Are you aware of any freeware or shareware that I could use? I can not justify buying such software for this project. Thanks.

For a "one-time small project", I'd use graph paper. I know there are others, but if you work fast (15 days) get a free download of TurboCAD, http://www.imsisoft.com/prodinfo.asp?t=1&mcidi . Of coures, w/ any ap there is a learning curve, so again I am back to graph paper. HTH.
snipped-for-privacy@sprynet.com says...

Which of course there are freeware applications out there to print graph paper onto your printer
Cheers Ray
I have an older version of TurboCAD. Can TurboCAD optimize a layout i.e decide what is the most efficient arrangement of the pieces on a 4x8 sheet of plywood or it is for me to manipulate the pieces manually? On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 20:28:11 GMT, Igor

You will have to move them around. Here is the way I would do it. Draw your parts in Turbocad at a small scale. Print them out. Draw a sheet at the same scale. Print it out. Cut out the parts and move them around on the sheet drawing until they work. Paste in place. There is also software out there that will do this for you. Do a search on "Sheetlayout". They have (or had last time I looked) an evaluation copy that is functional.

Where's the free download? I see a trial version of TurboCad. Is that what you mean?
Dennis Vogel
The trial version is what he was refering to. There is also Version 4 Professional that is fully functional and free. Quite good.

No thanks. They want my address and they want to send me email notices (that I can unsubscribe but only after receiving them).
Dennis Vogel

Everybody is so paranoid these days. I"ve been a professional user of their software since version 6 Pro. Now on version (. Multiple upgrades and patches and product registrations over the years. i have never gotten more than three emails in a year from them. In this time, i have filled out that form and downloaded that version of the program for other people several times. They don't spam (advertising has always been one of there shortcommings). I could give you the URL to download the US Governments own cad program (yes, they have one). It's free. All you have to do is fill out a seven page form and fax it to them.

Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:
snip

snip
Hey, i'd like to see that one myself,,,care to post it?
T.
http://www.brlcad.com / I don't know anything about it. I downloaded the form but haven't sent it in yet.

CW wrote:

It's a 3d solid modeling Cad program optimized to do solid modeling for the study of ballistic properties of vehicles and structures.
Description here:
http://ftp.arl.army.mil/brlcad/overview.html
I haven't used it, but have known quite a few people who did. It has a steep learning curve and I don't know of anyone who uses it by choice.
The gummnt developed it so that contractors and their own people would have a Cad system tailered to their needs and they wouldn't have to deal with input form contractors in umpty zillion formats. When you are letting out multi mission dollar contracts, you can get the bidders to use your Cad system.
Rico
I had read the description before. I just meant that I had never used it so couldn't comment on it. The original suggestion for this software was not serious. I knew that chances of the hobiest using it were pretty slim. I intend to get a copy myself though. I do have a considerable bit of experience with solid modeling.

CW wrote:

Please post what you find out. Free is good.
I haven't used it myself, but some people that worked for me did and they said it was pretty clunky to use compared to Cadd that was intended for design.
this should not be a problem. the address info is not validated, give them info that does not exist. go get a hotmail account and then delete it after you download.
anyway if you consider the 2 - 3 email they MIGHT send you as spam then you could filter them. this is a legite company and has been around for a long time.
BRuce
Dennis snipped-for-privacy@patmedia.net wrote:

It's not the email address that bothers me. It's the home address and phone number that scares me.
Dennis Vogel
<BRuce> wrote in message

Keep in mind that they are giving you the software to use in return, unlike those that just harvest email addresses off the internet...
irax.
Dennis snipped-for-privacy@patmedia.net wrote:

Dennis snipped-for-privacy@patmedia.net wrote:

Version 4 is at:
http://nct.digitalriver.com/fulfill/0002.16/tc /
Rico

Thanks.
Dennis Vogel
I can give you 2 web sites to check out the programs. However, the versions are for evaluation and may not give you enough rope to satisfy your needs. There is no time limit and you can use the evaluation programs all you want. Basically you are limited to the amount of pieces that can be used.
Take a look at
www.sheetlayout.com and http://cutlistplus.com/download.aspx
The later IMHO is the better of the 2 at the moment and absolutely has the best upgrade policy if you decide to buy a copy. Both are reasonably priced in several different levels of need.