Question for Delta 580 planer owners

Greetings, While strolling through the BORG today they had the floor model 580 planer (the 2 speed one) for $100 off. So I snapped it up. Especially since it seems to be a good rated machine around here. It had no box, video, or owners manual. Well I just downloaded the manual from Delta, no problem I got it home and planed a couple of rough pine boards I had lying around and it seems to work great. Here are my questions:

1) The nuts that hold the cutterhead guard down at the back are the wrong size. At least I assume that the nuts I picked up from the table belong to the planer. Like I said there was no box. What size are your nuts...I mean what size are the pieces of metal with the threads in them with plastic knobs on the top that hold down your cutterhead guard?

2) This planer came with a plastic dust chute that you can attach a collector/vacuum hose to. But it is listed in the owners manual as an option. It doesn't look exactly the same as the photo of the one in the manual and I can't seem to figure out how to attach it. I think it should attach to the cutterhead guard with the same nuts, but it is just a bit too wide to fit. Did yours come with one and how did you attach it?

3) The label on it says that it comes with an instructional video. If you received a video with yours, what did you think of it. Since I'm a newbie, do you think it worthwhile that I try and get one from Delta. Any other tips, tricks or advice from using this machine would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks

"Keep your stick on the ice." Tony

Reply to
Tony Mo

Sounds like a good deal.

Extra large

Same as the threaded part of the knurled knob that holds down th e guard. Never looked to see if or how they are removed as they do not have to be unless they are stripped.

Remove the guard, place the chite in the slots, replace the guard. There are no mechanical fasteners on the dust collector itself. You mentioned a vacuum. It should have a 4" outlet.

More of an infomercial that detaild instructions. Watched it once but did not have a great learning experience.

Watch for nails in reclaimed lumber.

The two speed feature is nice when the blades are new, not any real difference once they get worn a bit. Buy a good Torx driver when it comes times to change blades the first time. Those bolts are really in tight.

Once the blades are worn, replace them. Do NOT try to get that one last board planed. Good idea to keep a spare set on hand once you reverse them the first time. PITA to need them midway in a project late at night.

Empty the dust collector bag before it get filled. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The 4" dust port is really nice to have. Always better to reduce a port if necessary than to adapt up. Planers generate an amazing amount of long thin "chips" that'll cover everything in sight if not captured early.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Thanks for the responses so far. One more question: When do you lock and unlock the cutterhead? Do you unlock it, then lower/raise the head and then lock it again and plane away?

Reply to
Tony Mo

Unlock, move up or down, relock and run the board through. Below about 1/4" to 1/8" of thickness consider turning the unit off before unlocking to move down. Below 1/8" use a sled. Spinning knives don't work well after contacting metal and the noise that makes is very irritating.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

you'll want to unlock to reposition the cutterhead; lock it up before use, to prevent snipe.

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Yes. It becomes second nature after doing it a few times. Only need about a half turn to lock/unlock. Helps eliminate snipe. Only time I get snipe is when I get careless about locking or in the way I feed the material.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski