Question: David Marks using mirrors

A couple of days ago, I caught the ending of David Marks' Woodworks program and he was doing a burl veneer table. He briefly showed how he used a mirror to figure out how to position the burl, or something like that. I missed it, and it was just him going over the highlights.

What exactly was he doing with the mirror? Is it a common practice or technique? I'm just curious and would like to learn about it some more.

TIA,

Mike Dembroge

Reply to
Mike Dembroge

See this link.

the passage on Book Matching and Butt Matching.

What Marx was doing was use mirrors to see what the butt match (or it's more common name "end match") would look like before cutting into the veneer leaves.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 09:10:09 GMT, Unisaw A100 Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

i thought what he did with that one was diamond matched...but then again, i was informed by SWMBO that i was drooling on my chest and snoring during most of that episode a few weeks ago. . .

*G*

Traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

Diamond match features mirrors at right angles to preview.

Reply to
George

We must of had the same dream. The one I saw he was definitely using two mirrors, taped at right angles to get a diamond match on the veneer.

Reply to
Swingman

Could have been. Having never seen the show I can't verify this.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Unisaw A100 responds:

Nor I. I've read far too many of the "articles" on DIYNet, but can't get the show. After reading the articles, I didn't care.

Charlie Self

"A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls." Dan Quayle

Reply to
Charlie Self

The show is definitely a cut above the rest of DIY.

Reply to
Ross

Thanks for the heads-up everyone. I learned something here. Never heard of doing this, but it sure looks interesting.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Dembroge