Question about painting patio furniture

Hello,
I have some 5 year old patio furniture. I believe it is Brazil Cherry, it is the standard stuff that can be bought at many outdoor furniture places. It was originally stained a amber color and over the years the stain and poly has worn off in many areas.
What I would like to do is remove the rest of the poly and stain, then prime, paint and end up with white furniture.
My questions are:
Any thoughts on a way other than sanding to get rid of the rest of the stain and poly. The furniture has slat backs and seats.
Also, has anyone ever done this and had the paint last? If yes what did you do?
Thanks
Larry C

If you are going to paint the pieces why wast time removing the old finish? Just prime and paint.

I thought of that but there is some flaking I need to take care of and I was nervous that the paint and primer would not last long on top of the stain poly

Scrape and lightly sand those flakey spots, then prime and paint.
Primer is suposed to prepair "what ever surface" to receive a top coat.
Buy quality products and I would recomend an oil based out door primer and paint.
"Larry C" wrote:

There are furniture strippers that basically operate the same way as a degreaser.
They hang the furniture in a vat exposed to paint remover vapors and allow the old finish to soften and drop off.
If you are in a metro area, should be able to find one.
Lew
On Friday, September 4, 2009 4:50:48 PM UTC+3, Larry C wrote:

According to this page http://www.elgatopainting.com/restaining-wood-furniture /, there is a thing that is called a stain remover, they also call it a stain stripper. From what I read, the sander won't do the job alone. So, you would need to use that chemical. Good luck.