Q: What does 'self-extracting' mean as per router collets?

What does 'self-extracting' mean as per router collets?
On 10/11/10 6:11 PM, KIMOSABE wrote:

Craftsman router.
--
Froz...

As you unwind it, it peels itself off the cutter. Ergo no more cutters sticking in the collet, the right invention. http://www.patwarner.com Router Woodworking ********************************

On many collets, the nut that tightens down on the tapered collet that squeezes the bit, the nut, collet, and bit will come out of the router as a unit. With self -extracting the nut will seperate from the collet and all parts become free as you loosen the nut.
@swbell.dotnet says...

"Self-Extracting" in the context of Sears routers means that the bit moves in the collet when you don't want it to. This happens with any router if the collet isn't clean--I've had bits climb out of my Porter Cable for example.
However there are collets that are designed so that as you remove the retaining nut the collet is pulled out of the bore--I've never heard those called "self-extracting" but it would be a good description of them. If the nut is separate from the collect I don't see how anything can by intention exctract itself.