Q: Router speed control on a benchtop belt sander?

Has anyone tried to use a router speed controller on a benchtop belt sander? I'd love to turn mine into a VS model for under $30. TIA Norm
I have had a HF $11.00 router speed controller hooked up to my converted 10" table saw , with a disc sander attachment for over a year!! Thought it was a good idea(it works) but seldom use it due to dragging down the speed of the sanding disc!! Bought the saw on Craig's List for $25.oo, the sanding disc & plate for$20.00 and the speed controller for $11.00. Saved some money, but was a bad move in the long run!!
Bill in Plano

Norm Dresner wrote:

router speed control has a high enough amperage rating to handle the tool, it should work.