Q: Jesada and Mag lead times?

Think the consensus here is that Jesada is kaput. But I noticed a full page ad in the current issue of American Router.

How's the ad work? Prepay? Would the magazine still publish the ad - even if they new the company was in Chap 11 - to honor the creditors? Just curious. Thx

Reply to
patrick conroy

Patrick Conroy asks:

But our consensus is not necessarily the last word. It surely seems like Jesada has gone the way of all flesh, which is a shame, but maybe they are doing a reorganization.

Ads are not usually prepay, AFAIK. Bill on appearance or afterwards, timing depending on the publishing house, contractual agreements and similar things.

The mag might well publish the ad knowing the company was in reorganization. If they didn't, and were contracted to do so, there might be some legal repercussions later...ask a lawyer for details here, as it can get complicated.

Ad space sales can get complicated, and some contracts for good customers can offer great terms in times of buys. That is, the more buys (appearances over a period of time, usually a year with magazines), the cheaper each ad is. The bigger each ad is, the cheaper each unit of space is. Thus, the magazine could well find itself locked into a contract that pressures them into running ads they'd rather not run.

Suggestion: test the contact numbers and address in the ad. Call or drop them a postcard asking for a catalog. See what happens.

Charlie Self "I think the most un-American thing you can say is, 'You can't say that.'" Garrison Keillor

Reply to
Charlie Self

Like Charlie said, ad sales is a _complex_ subject.

Frequently the _company_ is *not* the space buyer from the publication. Rather the space is actually bought by the contracted 'ad agency', who then bills their customer (plus a mark-up, of course :). For 'single insertions' (i.e., one ad in _one_ issue), there is typically a deadline for ordering space that is 90 days or so in advance of scheduled publication. If you're buying space in multiple issues, there _might_ be somewhat less time between contract signing and publication of the first issue -- still probably 60+ days, minimum.

Contracts usually commit the buyer to the space, pretty much unconditionally. There's a deadline, usually 60+ days before scheduled publication date, by which the new ad 'copy' must be received at the publisher. If new copy is

*not* received, publisher can fill the space with 'material of _publisher's_ choice'; when that _does_ occur (fairly rarely), publishers often decide to re-run the previous ad.

If the space is an 'agency' buy, then the agency is *not* relieved of contract responsibilities (i.e. paying for the space) just because the agency's _client_ went under. And, since the publication still has a 'paying customer', they have no reason to -not- run the ad; especially since failing to run it _would_ be breach of contract.

This kind of a situation is rare, but not unheard of. Usually results in the agency 'shopping' the available space at bargain rates -- if they can sell it for ten cents on the dollar, that's ten cents they _don't_ have to pay out of their own pocket.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

I spent about 60 seconds trying to see if I could find any legal proceedings w.r.t. Jesada but found none.

Others are saying phones just ring, no answer.

Ran across a April 2004 interview on a website with the Infinity Tools founder. IIRC - he says his Dad started/owned/ran Jesada, then sold it several years ago. He was in the business, then left, then got the desire to get back in and bought Infinity Tools from someone getting out.

Interviewer noticed that the Infinity model numbers bear strong resemblance to Jesada. He said it was intentional and made product tracking easier.

Reply to
patrick conroy

One of the guys at American Router was a former Jesada "consultant"...

Name is Allen Goodsell

patrick c> Think the consensus here is that Jesada is kaput.

Reply to
Pat Barber

For those with inquiring minds:

to his son, David (CEO of Infinity Tools), Carlo Venditto sold Jesada "over three years ago." I gladly bought stuff from Jesada when Carlo was in charge. I feel he ran things well. Some of you who have been around the wreck for awhile may even remember him posting on occassion.

Reply to
Jeffrey Thunder

Jeef Thunder responds:

He also called a few of us. Carlo is the kind of guy you feel you can trust--it it wasn't good, he'd make it good.

I haven't tried anything from Infinity, but if David learned from Carlo, I'll check them out shortly.

Charlie Self "I think the most un-American thing you can say is, 'You can't say that.'" Garrison Keillor

Reply to
Charlie Self

In another thread I said my order had gone unfilled for over a month, and email questions were not answered. However, my credit card was charged, so last week I asked the credit card co. to cancel the charge. Yesterday I got one of the three bits I had ordered! The "receipt" listed all three, but only one was in the box.

Now what? I think we have a company which is neither in business nor out of it.

===== Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. ===== {remove curly brackets for email}

Reply to
Chuck

I notice that on his website under resources,

has directions to rec.woodworking!

Nice touch.

John

Reply to
Eddie Munster

Please do. I don't know Carbide from Bromide - but I picked up his rabbetting set when it was on sale many moons ago. Strikes me as a quality product. If I'm buying a bit to keep, I check out Whiteside and Infinity.

Would be nice to know if I'm *dumb lucky* in using Infinity, or simply wise beyond my years.

Reply to
patrick conroy