Project Motivation

Page 2 of 2

<snip>
I'm about to embark on some kitchen cabinets. My motivation is that SWMBO will kill me if they're not done in time.
todd

They won't be. Get started anyway.
Patriarch

Put aside the parts that are cut and any assembled so far. Put them away on a corner, under the bench, whatever.
No page through the magazines. Stop as some simple project, like a basic box, stool, and build it. Or take some scraps and make a 16 x 16 table for next to your favorite outdoor chair. Nothing fancy, just slap it together with 2" slats on the top.
OK, now that you took a week or two off, get back and finish the original project and the problems will be gone. Last time I started getting frustrated, I put all the parts away for 6 months. It was a snap to finish and I liked it so much I made another for a friend that admired it.
"Just Jim" wrote in message

A good case can be made that one of the attributes of a good wooddorker is "patience".
For me, if it becomes an aggravation it's time to walk away for as long as it takes to keep the aggravation from feeding on itself ... it might be hours, days, or sometimes, weeks. You generally come back with a better attitude and some new ideas on solving the aggravation/problems.
I do have one 'cast in stone' rule that covers a lot of bases and helps with "motivation" .... only one project at a time and no projects started until the current one is finished, no exceptions.
Besides encouraging the patience and discipline to finish the current project, it allows you to turn down the neighbors, relatives and anyone else who _wants_ something from you.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/16/05

Sometimes not. When I get really stuck I just power through it. http://www.guntheranderson.com/v/data/whipit.htm

In order to finish box the way I wanted I had to build a router table. It's all one project.
- Owen -
"Owen Lawrence" wrote in message

It's
That's not a router table, that's a "jig" ... jigs don't count. ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/16/05

You're right! And the fence for the router table is also a jig. I forgot about the two custom sleds I made for the box, too.
Next time my wife sees me programming 3d graphics (to help design the CAM unit I want to build) and asks what I'm doing, I'll just say, "I'm working on that box."
- Owen -
Just Jim wrote:

[snip] I had a couple of projects going, one of which was some cabinet doors for the town clubhouse. Then there was the surgery and lemme tell ya that cranking up interest after that is tough. Happily one of my sons-in-law came up looking for some help/advice on a project he was doing. We spent a half day finishing that up and another couple hours over burgers and coke at the local cafe. I think I'm going to go finish the doors. :-)     mahalo, `    jo4hn
"jo4hn" wrote in message

This morning was satisfying like that.
Got up at the crack of dawn and hung the _last_ door on my "Texas Tansu" project (http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects8.htm ), a 'flipper' door that I saved for last, having experienced the "flipper door aggravation" too many times in the past.
This one worked out puuurrrfectly! ... now I get to sit back and just _look_ at a project that's all but finished before I have to take off all the already hung doors and spray them with shellac while the weathers good ... but that's the easy part.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/16/05