Precision Measuring

It's interesting to note that I can mark a board exactly 7/16" short by catching the end of the tape on the rivet rather than on the hook itself.
Thanks for listening.
JP ************************* AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!!!
Several years ago a newly minted engineer in our R&D department took his just issued tape measure to the metal working modal shop to have that rivet tightened up because the hook it was holding on moved back and forth. We still laugh about that but only behind his back as he is now an Engineering Manager.

I've been tempted to try that on some of the cheapie tape measures we have. The movement is way beyond the thickness of the hook anyway, so might as well fix the thing in place and risk being 1/16" off...
Puckdropper

Braggart ! ! !
Jay Pique wrote:

No problem. Measure from the other end of the board and it will average out.
8-\
Bill
--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

Improper procedure. For real precision cut it an inch, use a quick clamp to clamp it with the inch mark precisely on the board edge, then mark the "correct" measurement. Guaranteed that at least one out of ten cuts will be "precisely" one inch short.
Frank

Measure it with a micrometer Mark it with chalk Cut it with an ax

And hammer to fit. If it won't fit, get a bigger hammer. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
--
Regards,

Damn. I cut it twice and it's still too short.