Powertool cases

I would like to build cases for my power tools using light durable material such as the cardboard-like stuff used for air travel luggage in the 1950s. Does anyone know what that material was and whether it is still available today from any supplier? Also is there a source for information on how to work the material, how to make joints, tools/adhesives to use, etc. TIA.
On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 22:57:12 +0100, ernie mendoza

It was commonly called fiberboard. It was made from cotton and had to be sealed or it would expand when wet. I had many cases made for me at a company in New York City called: Oxford Fiber Sample case. It came in different weights(thicknesses) and could bbe doubled up for strength.
Phone installers tool cases were tyuically made from fiberboard. I believe these days they are plastic.

Thanks for identifying the material. I can now google on the right track.
ernie mendoza wrote:

without the holes in the borgs before.
Eugene said:

Tempered Hardboard? - Commonly available in 1/8" and 1/4" thicknesses. Relatively cheap. I use it for shop cabinet drawer bottoms. Don't buy the UNtempered kind...
Greg G.
On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 22:57:12 +0100, ernie mendoza

consider 1/4" baltic birch ply. light, strong, cheap.

That material, if it's the same, is still (or was quite recently) used in instrument cases--musical and scientific. It looks like a thin version of tempered hardboard (Masonite), but I don't know that for sure, and I have no idea how to get hold of some. You might try a musical instrument shop for info on case makers and go from there.
I have a tuba case made of the stuff, but haven't figured out what to put in it. It's a great case, though. The wife don't like it...It's kinda big, and I don't have a tuba. :) Maybe it's a coffee table? ;}
Good luck, and keep us posted.
Dan "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing twice."

That's _easy_.
If you play golf (a 'walk in the park, spoiled by a little white ball'), take the case and build a portable PA system into it. with a speech- synthesis chip feeding the PA. A simple push-button causes it to announce, _loudly_, the digit that precedes 'five'.
If you need 'em, I can sell you a complete set of plans for this item. It is the _perfect_ high-tech woodworking project -- an electronic 'tuba "Fore!"'.