Poplar, what's it good for

Page 2 of 2

Here's a prototype chair, made entirely of poplar, you be the judge:
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/CrftsManCh18.JPG
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07
poplar, huh, yeah What is it good for Absolutely nothing Uh-huh poplar, huh, yeah What is it good for Absolutely nothing Say it again y'all poplar, huh, good God What is it good for Absolutely nothing Listen to me
poplar, it ain't nothing but a heartbreaker poplar, it's got one friend That's the undertaker Ooooh, poplar, has shattered Many a young mans dreams Made him disabled, bitter and mean Life is much to short and precious To spend fighting poplars these days poplar can't give life It can only take it away
Ooooh, poplar, huh Good God y'all What is it good for Absolutely nothing Say it again
poplar, whoa, Lord What is it good for Absolutely nothing Listen to me
poplar, it ain't nothing but a heartbreaker poplar, friend only to the undertaker Peace, love and understanding Tell me, is there no place for them today They say we must fight to keep our freedom But Lord knows there's got to be a better way
Ooooooh, poplar, huh Good God y'all What is it good for You tell me Say it, say it, say it, say it
poplar, huh Good God y'all What is it good for Stand up and shout it Nothing

I have NO idea what brought this on. I use poplar all the time. Not for pretty things, but stable, paintable things. Makes great mouldings.
Why not use Aspen instead? It's a little bit cheaper than Popular and clearer.

The reason that aspen, a poplar, is not too popular, is that it has interlocked grain and a mind of its own. I've seen boards coming off the blade at the mill turn 45 degrees before the cut was finished. It's possible to get the furry stuff to behave a bit better by sawing in large dimension, drying, then resawing, but sometimes a tri-square dry 2x6 can turn into two barely half thick useable boards after a simple resaw.
Handsome stuff with a bit of care in finishing, but do _everything_ oversize and re-true. I swear it even moves in length.

Aspen may be nearly impossible to find in the East.

I get my Aspen from Menard's. Each board is individually sealed in plastic wrap. All the boards I have bought have be straight as an arrow. I use it for face frames and have never had a problem with it. Check it out when you go to Menard's.

Doesn't the plastic wrap interfere with the finish? ;) Sorry, couldn't help myself.
But I've seen Borg plastic wrapped glued up panels that cupped like crazy once the plastic came off.
-Leuf

What's Menard's? You won't find it in this area of Virginia. I'm reasonably sure Woodcraft can order it in for you at one of its stores, but...heh, boy, the price. Tulip poplar sells for about $1.75- $2.50 a bf here (not in Lowe's or HD), so plastic wrapped boards from elsewhere aren't going to go over big, particularly since tulip poplar is available in straight, wide knot free boards that almost never cup or warp.

Big-box home improvement retailer, similar to Lowe's and Home Depot. They're in the upper Midwest only. Most of the stores are in Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Indiana.
Closest one to you looks like central Ohio: http://menards.com/storeLocator.do
--
Regards,
Charlie Self wrote:

Good to hear from you, my friend. What have you been doing with yourself?     mahalo,     jo4hn
Charlie Self wrote:

At my favorite Connecticut dealer, aspen is $2.75 bd/ft, poplar is $2.30.
On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 16:31:57 -0700, "Eigenvector"

I thought, but my thought have been questioned lately, that ash was interesting and less expensive. I can remember 15-20 years ago the cabinet maker delivered ash cabinets when oak was all the rage as it was less expensive. They looked nice.

I was going to suggest ash, but then you did so now I don't have to.
A friend used my shop to build a really nice coffee table. The top and apron was ash, and the legs were turned poplar, painted solid black. It looked better than the one his friend BOUGHT for $700! His total cost was well under $200.
- Owen -

I have never worked with poplar. I got my hands on nice rough poplar board at a yard sale. My wife had two large maps that needed custom frames. I milled the poplar into the parts needed. The wood was great to work with. I researched what finish might look good on them, experimented with a few things, and finally used a couple of coats ofTung Oil.
I'm not sure how they'll look after they age...but right now they look terrific. If I can figure out how to post a pic, I will.
Frank

I've used poplar for molding to be painted and stained. Works exceptionally well, cuts easily when going through the knives, with just a tiny amount of fussing, no burning, nice, clean almost ready to use product. Making frames from that would be a snap.
Eigenvector wrote:

Then steer well clear from such goodies as koa, teak...even walnut.
BTW, one doesn't *have* to buy F&S (or "Select")...#1 common works well for many, many things.
--

dadiOH
Eigenvector wrote:

I love poplar. Seriously. We were just talking about it at work today. It mills like a dream, is inexpensive and with a little experimentation can be made to look like any number of different woods. And for paint, well, don't look any further than poplar. Did I mention that it mills like a dream? I've had it up to my eyeballs with Doug Fir splintering out and into my flesh. It gives new meaning to "breaking the edge".
JP

Two years ago, I made a book stand for a daughter to use in here classroom. I made it out of poplar and finished it with wipe on poly. I saw it the other day and it has lost all of the green and is a nice honey brown color.
I made a bed for another daughter with poplar and stained it brown with a water stain. It has a nice furniture appearance.
I like it better than red oak, but then I like most any wood better than red oak. :-)