Plywood Rabbets - Dado Blade on TS or Router??

Hey All,
So, a quick question,
I need to make some 5/16 x 5/16 rabbets on the edge of some birch plywood replacement kitchen cabinet doors I am making.
Anybody have any suggestion on which would be the best method for trouble-free rabbets with minimal problems, Dado blade on my table saw or using my router table with a dado or straight bit?
The doors aren't that big, 22" x 14" do they wouldn't be unwieldy for either method.
I have no problem going either way, but as, for some reason, I haven't had cause to cut any rabbets in a long time and now have both a nice Dado blade set (freud) and a new P-C 3-1/4 HP speedmatic router in a new cast iron router table extension for my table saw, I figured I could go either way and wanted folks opinions on the pros and cons of each method.
Any suggestions, opinions, ideas greatly appreciated. -Chef Juke "EVERYbody Eats when they come to MY house!" http://www.chefjuke.com

I use these: http://www.infinitytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number %2D155 But I don't use the router in a table.
Max
"Chef Juke" wrote:

I'd set up a 1/4 wide dado, make a pass, then end for end and make a 2nd pass.
This will allow you to make sure rabbet is centered and also allows you to adjust witdh of dado, if necessary.
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Centered on what, Lew? ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
"Swingman" wrote:

The piece of stock receiving the rabbet, in this case the birch ply.
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" wrote

LOL ... that would be worth seeing when plowing a "rabbet" ... what page of Fred Bingham's book is that on?
<g, d & r>
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
"Swingman" wrote:

DUH!
Much too late at night when 1st post made.
Yes dummy, there is a difference between a dado and a rabbet isn't there, he says to self..
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" sez:

ROTFL ... That's alright, buddy ... I won't tell! :)
<who, for the umpteenth time, cut the right angle on the wrong end this AM, again>
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

One man's poi is another man's poison ... I would always opt for the table saw, with a sacrificial fence, over a router to do this job. An easy, quick, accurate, less chance of tearout, one pass operation.
But then, that's just my preference ... YMMV
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Absolutely.

All,
ThanksMax, Lew, & Swingman for the advice. I decided to go for the router table and rabbetting bit this time and things worked out well.
Will use the dado blade next time to compare.
(Max,FYI: I used a Lee Valley rabbetting bit - http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p0111&cat=1,46168,46176&ap=1 )
Thanks again, -Chef Juke "EVERYbody Eats when they come to MY house!" http://www.chefjuke.com

In my limited experience, the dado blades on a table saw will stay sharp longer than a router bit used for the same operation. If true this may be due to more cutting edges on the saw (24 teeth, 48? I forget how many on my Jesada dado set) as compared to the router bit (probably 2).
For this reason, I'll typically use the dado set for plywood. For solid wood, especially with the grain, I may use the router. Neanderthals (they don't hang out here on the wreck so much, anymore) would reach for a specialized plane in that situation.
--
Jeff Thunder
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences

It's suddenly dj vu all over again around here ... is that your "one post a year" these days? :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08