No dado blade?

I thought this was ingenious. Dado blades can be expensive, and cutting dados are commonplace in the woodshop. If you don't have a dado blade for your tablesaw, here's an easy-to-make jig and method to use...

Phisherman

that will be inserted into the dado.

You can accomplish the same thing by clamping the actual material between the fence and a stop block (make sure to use the same stop block for both register cuts, though). This technique is not as fast, but it is not too slow and it is more accurate. If you don't want a snug fit, you can insert a sheet of paper behind the stop block.

However, if a rabbeted end will be inserted into the dado, then the jig is better, because you can cut the rabbets to fit the dado. The technique I suggested would still work, but it would be clumsier. You would want to do the rabbets first, use the rabbeting setup to make a spacer or two to match, and use the spacers to cut the dados.

Cheers!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

I used to put two or more blades together on my TS to make Dado's. You just have to be sure they are the same exact size.

Dave

Reply to
David Babcock

On a side note, I just ordered a Freud SD208 8" set from Amazon.com for US$69.99 which is a good deal. This set was rated as a Best Buy in one of the mags, American Woodworker perhaps?

Got it, made a few test cuts and couldn't be happier :)

-- Regards,

Reply to
SawEyes