What kind of wood is this?

Same piece of wood, different lighting. Very dry, very light in weight. The piece 17" x 5.75" x 1.5" weighs just over 3 pounds. Moderately soft-- a 1/32" steel nail-set dropped from about a foot, penetrates about 1/8".

-MIKE-

Yes, cedar. Does it have a smell when cut?

Identifying different species of softwood whith certainty involves intricate work with a microscope but the close rings, straight grain and lightness would suggest a cedar.

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

Or maybe some sort of fir. The dark streaks in the edge grain (assuming it is not stained or finished in any way) looks pretty dark for any cedar I've seen.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Edelenbos

It is raw. This first pic is more indicative of the color, without consumer camera influence. The contrast between light and dark rings is accurate, however.

Reply to
-MIKE-

at it, was redwood, but 3 pounds is *much* too heavy for a piece that size to be either redwood or cedar. I'd vote for Douglas fir.

Reply to
Doug Miller

It does not have that distinctive "hamster cage" scent to it when cut. Not much scent... if anything, slightly chocolaty.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I thought Fir a while ago, but all the fir I've seen is more orange. It certainly has the same weight as the Doug Fir I've worked with.

Reply to
-MIKE-

It might be cypress, but looks more like some kind of pine to me.

Reply to
Jedd Haas

Mike, it looks very similar to some catalpa that i have:

is soft and light weight. It also has a distinct smell when I cut it. I can't think of how to describe the smell - it's pleasant (to me) like a scented candle.

Bob

Reply to
rjdankert

>>> Cedar?

I was going to say the same thing. I have a piece of bone-dry Catalpa right here that is 16" x 8" x 1-1/8" and it weighs 2lbs 7oz. It's very light, and it looks exactly like what's in Mike's pictures.

Reply to
Steve Turner

What are you doing in here? :-p

Reply to
-MIKE-

Hey Mike, I see you found my old home. :-) It's a fun place to hang out, and I wander in here every once in a while, but about 5 years ago it started moving so dang fast I stopped trying to keep up. That and a major infestation of trolls. Looks like most of the same crowd is still here though; glad to see it.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Crazy thing is, we had a decent cymbal discussion going in another thread.

I lurked and posted here, a while back. Thought I'd come back since our other place is about 2 blips from flat-lining.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I saw the cymbal discussion - pretty cool. :-) Maybe some of the local drummer galoots would enjoy moonlighting over at rmmp; some new faces might help bring the old timers out of their rut.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Just start a Steve Smith thread. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 14:57:13 +0000, Steve Turner wrote (in article ):

I'm so far down in my rut it's turned into a cool groove. I was big on rmmp about 15 years ago but hardly glanced at it this millennium.

I need to get over to the Dolbear site as well. Lot of friends there (some quite local) but I found I was spending about 3 hours a day on the damn thing, so I took a long holiday to break the addiction.

That an' the weightlifting group.. an' alt.fetish.catholic.schoolgirls.snorkels.custard............

Oops.. maybe too much information.

:-)

Reply to
Bored Borg