Plyboo ... firsthand experience wanted

Page 2 of 3

wrote

thanks. looks like demand is way down.
however, the pertinent keyword is local. none of that is local to me, nor to the OP who is in texas.
One of the issues is Chile is exporting plywood as the country is ideally suited to fast growing hybrid pine trees used in modern operations.
OPEC owns the lumber and plywood operations.
Sold in Home Depot as I recall.
Martin
charlie wrote:

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

All of my local sources have it, as well as lots of pine doors from Chile.
I love Columbia's description of the "new hardwood plywood"
http://www.columbiaforestproducts.com/products/prodbam.aspx
They want to start selling us grass disguised as hardwood plywood.
I still want to see a sheet or two of this stuff. Might be the new wave in building materials.

Living in the UK I have absolutly no idea but you appear to have plenty of timber.
--
Stuart Winsor

Don't miss the Risc OS Christmas show
"Stuart" wrote:

Perhaps a few comparisons will help.
Population:
UK: 50-60 Million US: 310+ Million Canada: Approaching 30 million (90% live within 30 miles of US border)
Land Mass:
Don't have the numbers handy, but US operates daily across 3 time zones not including Alaska, Hawaii,
Canada operates across 10-11 time zones. (Granted Canada's high latitudes have something to do with this)
US plywood mfg source of lumber:
NorthWestern US and Western Canada which combined is probably at least 2-4 times the size of the UK as a guess, subject to confirmation.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/print/ca.html
Eastern, Central, Mountain, Pacific, I count 4.

has absolutely nothing to do with time zones, it is all based on longitude, with local adjustments, provincial, state, country borders and the like.

--
Froz...

2 feet longer than a d00tchie.
"FrozenNorth" wrote:

Brain fart on my end.
Don't do any business in Mountain zone.

Each time zone is 15 degrees of rotation.
Distance across the surface of the zone measured at equator is much larger than at high latitudes.
Same number of square miles measured at equator requires fewer time zones than when measured at higher latitudes.
Has nothing to do with the angular measurements of the time zones.
Lew
East Texas as well as the deep south produce a lot of ply, Telephone poles and posts. The paper industry is all around us as well. Power cost is the limiting factors.
Martin - in the piney woods of East Texas
Lew Hodgett wrote:

charlie wrote:

None near me, in the Northeast US.
All the plywood I can buy is either Chinese, from Chile, or from western Canada.
How much plywood is made in the UK?

This was being discussed recently on NPR. Seems that French wine imported by ship has a lower carbon footprint than California wines shipped by truck if you live anywhere east of Chicago. Ships are very efficient. The seemingly obvious answer can be wrong. So it may depend on how far the truck has to travel from port to jobsite vs. mill to jobsite.
Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.
Pat Barber wrote:

http://www.plyboo.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&idG&Itemid !8
outlets in my kitchen were unsightly!.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

What? You don't like the industrial look? :)
Mon, Nov 24, 2008, 6:21pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Swingman) doth query thusly: No conjecture, please. Client is considering using "plyboo", or "plyboo pure" for a new kitchen cabinet job. Any woodorker here used it, touched it, cut it, glued it, stained, or otherwise finished it? Any experience with this material welcome. Thanks ...
You'll never go wrong with painting them yellow. Unless if's after Labor Day.
JOAT Where the choice is between only violence and cowardice, I would advise violence. - Mohandas Gandhi
"J T" (Swingman) doth query

LOL! ... hey, Bubba, that sure was a purty poem you posted over in ABPW!! :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Oh dear, my goodness gracious, I really must schedule some face time with my dealer!

Damn Windows Live Mail!

What can I say ... being the sentimental guy I am, it brought tears to my eyes.
BTW, getting any more of them old cars out of your yard? :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

The glue will be Cat Pee based. It will outgas for a thousand years. The kitchen will be declared a Superfund Site and even escapees from FEMA trailers will not enter it.

I understand that it grows rather quickly, perhaps you could garden some up for the job and reeeeeely be green. ;~)
That aside, labor pricing should probably be higher to cover the added expense of cutting plugs to cover screw holes etc. I doubt you would want to putty bamboo and I have never seen remade bamboo plugs.
If you go that route, the bamboo, you will probably have an audience including me.