please stop me before i electrocute/blowup/burnup myself...

before i start randomly poking electrons where they shouldn't go, i need some advice from the more experienced electro-mechanical-woodworkers of the shopbuilt persuasion -
1. have *old* 220/240V 50/60Hz asko wash mach motor that worked before replaced washer...
2. have not had much luck esearching motor info online, (nameplate info: Siemens 1BV5565-2BM 71130010/23 60/250W 220V 60Hz 12microFarads... has six leads on a molex kinda connector, 1 blue (presume controller signal), 4 blk, and one grn/yel (presume gnd/neutral)...
3. *NOT* a pro/amateur/very experienced electrical practioner, but i know which end of the wire to lick while standing barefoot in water...
4. want to know if motor is suitiable to be used to drive a shopbuilt disc sander ? ? ? (want to make 12" dia disc; *seems* like it should be powerful and durable enough...)
5. ignorant question: want to know if can be hooked up as 120V, or have to use 220/240V (which would probably make it an impractical project at that point)...
thanks in advance for advice, warnings, and gratuitous carping diem... hhh
art guerrilla
aka ann archy
eof
Hi Art,
This is something that you just don't want to be guessing about. Even the most experienced electrician would need the wiring diagram in order to use this motor. And, as you say, you really have no electrical experience. If you lose your life in the process of trying to use this motor, then it doesn't matter how much money you save, you really can't afford it.
I've purchased several used motors from motor repair shops with wiring diagrams. You can save a bunch of money doing it this way and there's a heck of a lot less at risk.
Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com http://www.ts-aligner.com
ann archy wrote:

ann archy wrote:

if it says 220/240V then it won't run on 110.
sounds like you don't really have much to lose by hooking up wires semi-randomly and applying juice, other than a salvaged motor and possibly your life. but washing machine motors aren't generally great for dusty environments or variable loads.

You likely have a multi speed motor. And yes it may work for a disc sander If you can figure out the wiring or die trying. Send it in to a motor repair shop and ask them to mark all the wires and resulting RPM and ask if they can supply a mutiposition switch for speed control.
I bought a 9" velcro-ed disc plate with sandpaper and used a 1/6 HP motor with 1/2" shaft to spin it up. This made a very nice disc sander, although you cannot just ram a chunk of material into it. Your on the right track with the wrong motor.
Pete
I Assume the 250W is for watts which would mean its only 1/4-1/3 HP which isn't much for a disk sander.
Mike M
On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 09:57:26 -0500, ann archy

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 09:57:26 -0500, ann archy

Here's a little bit of the blind leading the blind....
Don't forget that part of that 220v goes to heating up the water. I'd guess that means that you can't know anything about what the motor alone requires based on what was going into the washer.
Probably best to toss the sucker, unless you just want to play around with it.
http://benchnotes.com/DISK%20SANDER%20/Disk_Sander.html from todays free plans post link
-