I stained myself!

OOP! I mean, I stained all by myself. heheheheheh

I'm proud. I found a can of some kind of maple stain that has been in my garage for almost 8 years (here when I moved in) and never tried staining so I got the screwdriver and almost could not pry the lid off. The lip was just bending but finally....

I took a foam brush and brushed it on a picture frame I just made using my cheap miter saw and ex-Crapsman router after I had wood-glued it together. The stain looked really nice but I learned a lesson. hehehehe

Never stain wood AFTER you wood glue if you wipe glue on top of it. Well, it's all just practice. But it is not too noticeable. The fumes were tough during the staining but I have a big garage so I just left after I evened out the coat.

Do you normally stain w/one coat or multiple coats? Is it okay to not put a varnish or finish on the wood after a stain? I have some tung oil in the garage too from 8 years ago. Would that work AFTER a stain???

Tim

Reply to
Tim Simmons

Fri, Sep 12, 2003, 5:22am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@timsimmons.com (Tim=A0Simmons) asks: Do you normally stain w/one coat or multiple coats?

I normally stain with a shirt on, T-shirt under; but it it's cool, I will wear a jacket too.

JOAT If Pro means 'For' and Con means 'Against', you can safely say the opposite of 'Pro' is 'Con'. Can we then assume that the opposite of 'Progress' is 'Congress'? - Unknown

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 11 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

Opps.., you indeed made more mistakes than you did right. So don't gloat too much. First, even if it was your very first project, (I still have my first after fifty-five odd years), to use a can of 8 year old stain is to say that your work is undeserving of the best chance for a decent finish. All paint and stain have a shelf life. Your first clue was that it was left behind when you moved into the place. Second was when you had to cut the top off to get at the product. Second was that you had to apply it to your picture frame like putty.., (opps, sorry, you didn't say that.., did you?)..,

Stain is not expensive. To use a product of unknown quality is not showing your hard efforts off in the best light possible. Perhaps you are satisfied with your results at the moment, and I encourage you to continue.., just don't be so cheap with your next. Spend the $2.00 for a fresh 1/4 pint of stain, and know that if the results are not what you expected, that it is most likely you and not the product.

Robert Lee Chandler, AZ

Reply to
Robert Lee

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

Hell, I got Formby's walnut all over my shirt, pants and shoes. Not to mention my unmentionables...Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

I normally stain with a shirt on, T-shirt under; but it it's cool, I will wear a jacket too.

Tim S.:

HEHEHEHHEHEHEHHEHEHEHE

Tim

snip

Reply to
Tim Simmons

Tim S.:

If it seemed as if I was gloating, I wasn't. I bought $5 of molding, chopped it with a saw, glued it and wiped some old stain on it and the SIGNIFICANCE of the project is that I am 40 and have never really created anything much out of wood by using any cutting tools ( I used a skill saw once or twice) and I have never done ANY finishing and far from gloating I was simply proud.

Remind me the next time you make a E7b9 chord on the guitar for the first time to tell you to quit gloating, go take some lessons and drop the Mel Bay chord book.

RL: First, even if it was your very first project, (I still have my

Correct. It was $2 worth of wood that also was pieced (joints every foot I think) so even if I stained with new pro stuff, the joints were showing and on a picture frame that wouldn't do.

Translation: It didn't MATTER if it stained perfectly. However, for the record, it stained great as far as I could tell (color changed, not too dark, no build up in places) and the viscosity (ooooh!) of the stain in the can was low (like milk).

RC:

Tim S.:

Man, you might want to reassess how you interpret postings and quit assuming. It wasn't "left behind". The guy living in the house before me DIED. There are several cans of tung oil and other stuff that I'm sure HE would have taken but his SON obviously had no need for them and left them.

RL: Second was when you had to cut the

Tim S.:

How many wrong assumptions have you made in your reply while I simply wanted to share the fact that I had done something I had never done before?

RL:

Tim S.:

If I had created a product WORTHY of being seen, then of course I agree with you. I would not paint a picture for 2 months and grab some can of used varnish from a garage and without testing it even, brush it over the painting. Give me some credit. Perhaps you are confused by the light tone of my post and equating that with the idea that I must be an airhead?

RL: Perhaps you are satisfied

Tim S.:

I fully understand your intentions but I believe you misinterpreted my post and didn't have enough info to understand that I wasn't staining a 6 month project.

Thanks for the advice.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Simmons

Tim S.:

That seems true because I know this has been unused in a tightly sealed can for at LEAST eight years and the seal was so tight I could almost not pry the lid off. But the liquid was very thin and not gummy or thick. But I assumed it shouldn't be thick because I do a little painting and the transparent colors are usually less pigmented and I also didn't care how it looked. Just did it.

SS: If the color is good one coat, if too light

Tim S.:

One coat looked nice so I quit. I just didn't know if there was maybe a saturation prob by putting too many on or if you had to wait a day or what.

SS: If the tung oil is still liquid probably ok. This

Tim

Reply to
Tim Simmons

Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

Tim S.:

Both thumbs, ring and index fingers (last joint section - pads iow) are messed up such that I cannot use them. Can't press on them or they will go totally to hell i9n a few days. I've laid off of them pretty well for about

2.5 years but they have improved a little. Yes, for a guy whose CD was given a 12 out of 10 in the August '95 issue of Recording Magazine, that's a crusher. I can't play now except to doodle like a rank amatuer. Ahhh but the CD endures! hahahahahaha

Sweet.

So, an E7b9 is the old Beatles chord in "She's So Heavy" - not to be confused with its dissonant cousin the E7#9 (the Hendrix chord).

Tom: To play an E7b9

Tim S.:

Well, to properly play it you need 5 notes (E, G#, B, D, and F) but most guitarists leave out the B in both chords.

Tom: I must've broken about

Tim S.:

Well, I hope mine get better but if not, that's life I spoze.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Simmons

What's dissonance? ;) Just kidding. I'm very much into the avant-garde, atonality, etc. Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

Tim S.:

hehe

Well, I've always been a fan of the pure melody stuff (in notes as in only the 7 notes of the scale) but as a person ages I think a person comes to appreciate the nuances of more complex chords and melodies.

I'm still just a big melody guy.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Simmons

When I build a project, I save a few small pieces of scrap wood just to test the stain and finishes I might use. Sometimes I'll apply several coats of stain, other times just one. Wait a few days (a week is better) then apply a clear finish (shellac, varnish, laquer, tung oil). It is best to follow the recommendations on the can, but even still, use a scap piece first. (I'd hate to mess up a project in a few seconds that I spent several days work.)

Reply to
Phisherman

Tim S.:

Yes, I'll do that when I have a good project I'm happy with. I'm only a few weeks old at wood working so I'm in the I-don-t-mind-if-it-doesn't-work mode but I'm trying to learn a few things. I cut some wood tonight with my miter saw and trimmed with miter trimmer and then glued them together with wood glue. Almost got a perfect square from 4 triangles. Not quite tho. I also didn't put enough glue. arggggggg.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Simmons

nah, that would be considered too sophisticated for a cRAP single.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

music_ is_ just sound in time, and "De gustibus non disputandum" (in matters of taste, there is no dispute). How do you suppose I feel with all the vapid, trite, repetitive stuff I'm surrounded by? Think of the early times in music, when the ear couldn't stand much more than a major fifth (i.e. Gregorian chants). Remember when the "Big Three" B's gave their listeners pains with the then described "atonality"? Follow this progression(or "congression"! Hey, Joat!) to it's logical extreme. Besides, I'll bet there were a few moments in the ">piece

Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

No, to do it as rap, I'd have to sample 12 seconds of it, loop it, and mix it with some James Brown licks or something.

I sure do hate that stuff. Making music by cutting and pasting little bits of stuff that real musicians recorded hardly seems a worthy endeavor. Kinda like going to an art museum, cutting up all the paintings and doing a collage. It's art, sort of, but it's K-Mart art.

Reply to
Silvan

Want it? It's a 48K MIDI file. Intended to be played on a pipe organ.

Actually, it *has* been played on a pipe organ. Or at least that was the deal. I got someone in some unknown corner of the world to play it in exchange for helping them figure out how to transmit the necessary data in order to change the stops around on one of those newfangled high tech MIDIfied jobies.

(I want one of those some day. There's just nothing like a pipe organ, and thanks to the wonders of MIDI, I could play a pipe organ with something I understand, like a guitar. :)

Reply to
Silvan

Sure, I'll listen to it. > Silvan wrote;

Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

When we lived in Dallas, we had season tickets to the Dallas Symphony. One of the programs featured a composer (I don't recall his name) who "... abandoned tonality at a young age ..." according to the program guide. The guide went on " [composer] was tragically killed following World War I when he was accidentally shot by an Allied soldier in post WWI Germany ..."

After hearing the selected piece from this composer, I decided that the shooting was no accident. ;-o

The pieces may be very complicated to play, but symphony is not supposed to be an exercise in manual dexterity to the detriment of sounds even close to pleasing to the ear. I've heard failing electrical motors and bearing sets that sounded better.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita