bit question

I ordered a PC 690LR router and small table. I hope it works better than the Crafffffff.... psmans I had.

Question: I used a bit with the CraFTsman that was straight and cylindrical looking (plunge maybe?) but if I want to rout rabbets (or shhhh be vewy quiet... I'm wouting wabbets.. heheheh) which bit do I need? A plunge bit? A rabbet bit? I'll get the carbide tipped whatever but to just rout grooves (remove a corner) which is best?

I saw one of the rabbet bits but it seemed to have a stop at the bottom or something.

Also, the PC will take 1/2" shank so do I need to know anything other than

1/2" shank, carbide and the style?

Help is appreciated.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Simmons

Tim S.:

I wonder if this guy who put my router and table together got the wrong bit? It looks like the plunge bits I see on this site but I'm not sure.

Would a plunge bit still be okay for routing edges off of small molding?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Simmons

I just picked up a wabit bit set from Dymar (?) which came with four different bearings so I can go from 1/4 to 5/8 inch wabits. A wabit bit makes it much easier than setting fences and it allows you to go around corners. I bought the 35mm (bigger diameter) one with a 1/2 inch shank because I figured the turning speed would be faster and with that size bit I'm more comfortable with a 1/2 shank

Reply to
Norm Edelmann

you need to clamp the piece you're routing onto a workbench or something before you rout it. You can also use non-slip routing pads (similar if not identical to that rubber mesh stuff you put under area rugs so they won't move) under the workpiece to keep it in place. You definitely do NOT try to hold the piece with one hand and operate the router with the other.

here's another suggestion after reading this post by you and the one about the stain: take a beginning woodworking class!!

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

vmtw

Clamping the piece down to a bench makes it rather difficult to get it throuh the router table.

Reply to
CW

Tim,

Aye, but everyone should aspire to keep his or her fingers. Make sure you understand enough to know you are safe. I had a piece of wood grab on my router table & drag my fingers towards it much faster than a humanoid can let go.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

A 2" piece is harder to rout than a 2' piece. You need something to hold it with. Either clamp it, or screw it to another longer board, or don't do it. If the bit grabs hold, you ill be amazed at how fast is will fling it at you or grab your hand with it.

Since you own a router, maybe if you took the beginners course, you'd find a rewarding hobby waiting for you. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Tim S.:

Safety is, as Willie Nelson used to say, "Always On My Mind". hehehehehe

Tim

Reply to
Tim Simmons

Tim S.:

I already have several rewarding hobbies that consume my time so I just have to draw a line somewhere!

Thanks for the saftey advice and believe me, I am careful when using the router and miter saw (I wear ear plugs, dust mask, goggles and am conscientious of where my little digits are while pushing the wood.)

I do need to invest in some clamps, tho. Sigh.... gotta get a second job just to get basic picture frame tools! heheehhe

Tim

Reply to
Tim Simmons

Reply to