Plans for bench

Page 3 of 3

This should get you started: http://www.plansnow.com/workbenchplans.html Lots of different styles for different applications.
At the very least it will give you an idea why there are so many opinions on this subject.
Here is where I was directed when I started looking: http://www.geocities.com/plybench/bench.html
If you have access to the next to last issue of WOOD magazine (June/July 2005), there are plans for a simple workbench. It uses standard 2X's and your choice for a top. I used a solid core door covered with 1/8" hardboard. It's rock solid and cost me less than $100.

I've found a few good plans in Life Books (at the library). The one I'm thinking about has a backboard bench, free-standing woodworker's bench, carving bench, and a few others. Another good book is by Landis, "The Workbench Book." Actually, I designed my own and used ideas from several sources. The height of the surface to the floor is something to think about.

Jon (in lUiCe.62039$ snipped-for-privacy@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca) said:
| I just moved into a new house and the basement is basically a blank | slate. I would like to make a bench approx 6ft long for working on | and miscellaneous things. I am not a carpenter by any stretch of the | imagination, so I am wondering if anyone has any plans for a very | basic work bench for a beginner carpenter.
Jon...
I built a simple sturdy 6' bench that might serve your needs. It requires an 8' 2x4 and two and a half 12' 2x12 boards. You'll need a saw (I used a circular saw), a carpenter's square, a power drill, and a pocket hole drilling jig. I used a Kreg pocket hole jig and recommend it strongly. You'll want some #8 2-1/2" square drive washer head screws and a #2 driver.
I've posted side and front view drawings to news:alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking that show how the parts are cut and assembled. If you'd like more info I can take photos and post them; but the drawings may be sufficient.
Assembly time (working on the garage floor without a plan or sawhorses) was under an hour.

A good one can be daunting, a simple one is really easy. The first one I ever made was simple enough to describe in words, so I'll just describe it.
Cut three 2" x 4"s as long as you want the bench to be, call these "A" Cut four 2" x 4"s as wide as you want the bench to be, call these "B" Cut four 2" x 4"s as tall as you want the bench to be, call these "C"
Lay two A's next to one another, then two B's on either end so they make a rectangle. Put a framing square inside of each corner, then screw them in place (two screws per corner works). Set the C's on end in each corner, get them plumb using the framing square and drive a couple of screws into them from the outside of the rectangle you made in the last step to hold them in place.
Turn the whole thing on it's side, and put the last A across the back two legs (about halfway between the top and the floor works) Check for squareness again, then screw into place.
Turn the whole thing on it's end, and put one of the B's across the side just like you did with the last step, repeat this for the other side.
Flip the bench frame up onto it's legs, and cut a peice of plywood or MDF to fit the top frame. Nail or screw the top into place.
This isn't a classy solution, but it makes a stable table, and sometimes that's what you need to get started. You can always build a better one later, after all. Mine is still good after 5 years or so, and it's now the dedicated table for my lathe chisels and accessories after making a better bench for myself.