Planning MDF?

Page 1 of 2

I need to take some MDF down about an 1/8 of a inch. Piece is 3 inches by 8 inches.
I can use a sander (belt), or the planer. I was thinking the planer knives would just dull up.
It's not a one time deal. I would be doing this several more times.
Ideas and thoughts about this? I'm heading to the belt sander myself but....
MJ

Slice it off on the table saw and clean up with belt sander.

------------------------------- Cut all the 3x8 pieces, including future needs, to size, then take a trip to the local drum sanding shop for a one time deal.
Lew

------------------------------- Buy a sheet of 5/8 MDF.
Lew
I previously wrote:

------------------ If you cross cut pieces to 8" length before sanding, may be a problem.
8" may be too short to go thru sander.
Probably have to rip 3"x96" strips to go thru sander, then cross cut to length.
Lew

How about take that 3X96 strip and just run it through the table saw with the fence set to 5/8" or whatever you want to end up with. If the narrow rip is a problem, just stop when there's about a foot or so left unripped, and use that as a "safety handle" (tm) to lift the strip up off the saw table. Though personally I find a 5/8" rip not too challenging with the proper push stick (push block, actually) made ahead of time.

"Larry W" wrote:

---------------------------- "Swing" got there first<G>.
Lew
On 9/10/2010 11:04 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

In the FidoNet days a forum wasn't called an "echo" for nothing. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Ditto RIME.
-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson
Swingman wrote:

---------------------- I'll still take option 2.
Lew

Someone else mentioned the table saw. I'm assuming if you have a planer, you have a table saw. I've used an upside down belt sander, clamped to a table, as a stationary sander with good results. If the surface has to be finished quality, using a planer could give you a good excuse to sharpen your blades. However, with such a small piece, your blades probably won't even notice.
--

-MIKE-

How thick?
Got a table saw with a good fence? If it's over 1/4" thick, I'd head for my table saw at those dimensions.
One, or two at the most, passes.
(I make all my 3/8" thick 'loose tenon' stock at the table saw, up to 3" + wide).
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

I have successfully sanded MDF with a ROS but taking off 1/8", 1/16" from both sides will give you a surface that is not like the factory outer surface. You are going to start getting into the softer fuzzier layers. So if the surface matters yo might want to rethink and for sure test on same stock samples.
On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 10:17:59 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Use a table saw, like others have mentioned, and that will give you the best results relatively quick. I would recommend not using a jointer or planer on that stuff. It will dull blades quickly.
On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 10:17:59 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Another thought. I don't know what you're building but could you modify the design to accommodate the full thickness or maybe even the next thinner thickness?
Of course if you are building a flux capacitor I can understand needing that specific thickness.

Resaw with a decent carbide combination blade and be done with it. I wouldn't belt sand except with a Performax-type thickness sander. That would take the surface out of flat.
On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 10:17:59 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

3 inches by 8 inches by what? Which side do you need to remove the 1/8 inch from?

You idiot, he has to remove the 1/8" from the THICK side.
On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 14:46:18 -0500, Gordon Shumway

And he said that WHERE, you idiot?

Obviously humor is not your strong suit. However, it is totally irrelevant which side has material removed to achieve the desired thickness. They are both the same, idiot.