"Cheap" paint

Did a price comparison on paint this week for some cabinets in the garage.

MagnaMax from the local real paint store 30 bucks a gallon.

Crap from Home Despot or Sears, 30 bucks a gallon.

Well, that decision was easy.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Add a few bucks and go for Aura by Benjamin Moore. Goes further, doesn't need primer, two coats and Bob's your uncle. An absolute treat to work with. Maybe a bit of overkill for garage cabs.

The extra coverage almost makes up for the price=97too close to matter.

Reply to
Robatoy

Last time I bought "good" paint from Sherwin Williams, the store manager suggested Penetrol Paint Conditioner. The stuff is amazing... I'll never paint (w/good or bad paint) without it again.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Garage cabinets!? Does the color have to match a particular garage decor?

Mis-mixed paint from any vender or paint from Big Lots, $5 a gallon. The red barn stain/paint from Big Lots, available at random times, was put on a friend's 20' X 30' shed (exterior, cypress - 1" thick solid boards) 13 yrs ago and still looks good today.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

"Sonny">

------------------------ AKA: "Oops" paint.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Has to be a specific color. Also non-blocking and non-chalking.

Is the red barn paint non-blocking and non-chalking? And how does it look on MDF?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Add a few bucks and go for Aura by Benjamin Moore. Goes further, doesn't need primer, two coats and Bob's your uncle. An absolute treat to work with. Maybe a bit of overkill for garage cabs.

The extra coverage almost makes up for the price?too close to matter.

About 10 years ago I painted a kitchen and pantry including inside the cabinets. One coat, One gallon, Pratt and Lambert, $40 per gallon. I try not to scrimp when I buy the paint. The good stuff is easier to work with and covers better for a longer period of time.

I have painted many complete homes interiors since when the customer provides the paint. Booooooo....

Reply to
Leon

Why go with latex when you can have precat for less?

Reply to
J. Clarke

I don't know the answer to either question. I've never read the Big Lots cans, either, to know what kind of blend it is. Last summer my friend considered recoating with the Big Lots barn paint, so I assume it is, at least, decent for her shed's exterior.

Here's a view of her shed, pic taken about 3 or 4 yrs ago.... it had been painted about 8 yrs prior:

Sonny

You like your paint to flow, do you? Yeah, good stuff.

-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

the look I have in mind at all.

Reply to
J. Clarke

This was an important project, so I took all the advice I was given.

don't do a lot of painting, and i don't like it, but that stuff made me want to paint more. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

You don't like ferns???

Reply to
Bill

Consumer Reports gives a high rating to Behr paints (Home Depot)

Max

Reply to
Max

Nice. What kind of roller did you use.

I used Floetrol (oops, it was this, not oil-based Penetrol I was thinking of) for repainting my louvered closet doors with a HF HVLP spray gun. I had to thin with water, Floetrol, and warm it to about

100F to get it to spray. Glidden acrylic enamel ain't made for sprayin'. I'll use more when I brush the trim in the house before my family shows up for Christmas. It's the Good Stuff for waterborne paints.

-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

..................................................................^?^?^?

I actually used a combination of stuff. Spray... never could get a consistent flow, due to cheap gear and inexperience. Brush... Penetrol paid off in spades in this department. And roller for the shelves. It was the best way for them.

Reply to
-MIKE-

How do they rate Imron?

Reply to
J. Clarke

I made the mistake of my life, with paint, but just once.

My wife wanted some large built in china cabinets made, so we talked about what we wanted, and settled on red oak, lightly stained and clear coated. I bought a good sized jag of oak, but then had some back issues and it sat for a couple years until I started on them.

In the meantime, she decided that stained oak was dated, so she wanted them to be painted. I told her that people don't paint oak; that was near to a high crime. Never mind that, paint it would be.

I knew it was going to be tough to paint the oak, but that was my task, and I would be up to the challenge.

I put on three cats of sanding sealer, with all of the required sanding, then sprayed on some oil paint. Crrrraaap. That will never do; too much grain pores showing through. Back to sanding, then with 4 or 5 coats of sanding sealer, with the required sanding, then with a couple coats of paint.

Still not even close. Now, I hit it with grain filler, sanding, then many coats of sanding sealer, until it was slick as a baby's butt. More paint, touch up with more filler here and there and sanding sealer, then more paint.

I have to admit, they look glassy smooth, like a hand rubbed lacquer job, but I sure had to work for it.

Never again. If you want smooth paint, no oak. I would have thrown the oak in the dumpster, or burnt it in the fireplace, rather than building painted cabinets out of it.

Live and learn. They say you learn most from your mistakes. If that is true, I figure I must be a genius, by now!

Reply to
Morgans

LOL. I don't think they're into rating industrial paints.

Max

Reply to
Max

"-MIKE-" wrote

Those bookcases weren't sprayed?? Wow! Outstanding!

I want the recipe. :-)

Max

Reply to
Max