planer / planing question

Hey All, First, this did not happen to me but while I was planing some oak boards today I was pondering this scenario; What would occur if you ran a tapered board through a thickness planer, thin end first, and the thicker end was greater than the maximum cutting cappacity of the cutterhead? Would the board become stopped by the front edge of the planer so it could not be presented to the feed rollers and then cutterhead? Thanks in advance. Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

The board would be wedged between the infeed table and front edge of the planer. Howerver, I would not recommend proving the theory.

Next time you're plaining, and need to ponder...how about solutions to world peace?

Happy new year!

marc rosen wrote:

Reply to
Nicky

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Yes, the machine has a maximum thickness which can be removed. If the board presents more than the design, then the board will stop. The rollers will spin, and the blades or rollers will likely cause burn marks. The machine may begin to overheat and may eventually trip the breaker, or burn some sensitive elements in the machine.

So, it pays to review the entire length of the board to determine the planer setting.

Reply to
Tyke

Reply to
Arvid Sorsdahl

Reply to
Wilson

Reply to
Arvid Sorsdahl

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. It's not pretty. It was a learning experience. I now set the planer with respect to the max thickness of the board and go from there.

Reply to
George Max

I thought all planers had some depth-of-cut limiter on the infeed side of the case. Means the board will never make it to the cutterhead, but catch outside.

One possible fix for this is to raise the cutter (lower the bed) if the board encounters the feed limiter. Not that I've ever pushed my luck and had to do it of course.

If you get a couple of dog boards you may find it easier to saw a bit off either end than keep feeding the planer.

Reply to
George

It does happen. When I was running my store I had sold a customer a Jet 15" Planer. I believe that this unit had about a maxium height/thickness of six inches. The customer had the unit opened to maxium cut and was feeding a 6 X 6 22 foot white oak barn beam through the unit. Only thing was the beam was tapered and when the beam got about half way through, no more room and the beam was hung up tight!

My customer called me and I went out to see if and how I could help. The beam was a special order beam and very expensive, so No cutting the beam out. The beam would not go in because of the taper and would noy come ourt because of the kick back fingers!

Ended up taking the planer apart. What a job! Worked out Ok was able to save the beam and the planer. Customer finished the beam with a new Hitachi electric hand plane that I sold him

Mike .

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@i12g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

limiter on the infeed side of

Reply to