Hey all you planer snipers!

I've had my planer for about 6-months and NEVER changed the blades...ALWAYS had leading and trailing end snipe.

Changed my blades and the snipe is 'significantly' reduced.

How could that be?

The only thing I can think of is that the blades were not factory set correctly.

Any ideas?

Reply to
stoutman

The blades are closer to the table than the old blades, by a hair? That would reduce, by a bit, the pressure from the rollers for the same depth of cut as before you changed blades. Could that explain the reduction in snipe for you?

Dave

stoutman wrote:

Reply to
David

I guess so. That does make sense.

Reply to
stoutman

FWIW I got rid of of my snipe problem by adjusting the tables.

Reply to
toller

That's how we ALL reduce snipe. stoutman's post recounted a different scenario.

Dave

toller wrote:

Reply to
David

Nope. Those of us with iron planers adjust roller pressure and the chipbreaker.

Reply to
George

Seems blades being closer to the table would increase snipe.

Reply to
Leon

Stop gloating...

Dave

George wrote:

Reply to
David

Reply to
David

Besides which, the OP stated that new blades sniped less. wouldn't new blades be longer than the worn ones, and thefore, proves the point, because the only change in position is RELATIVE; the relative height of the blades in relation to the rollers.

Dave

David wrote:

Reply to
David

"stoutman" wrote in news:QRDqe.242$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com:

Blade sharpness significantly impacts how hard the machine has to work to reduce the surface of your stock. If the stock is cut more easily, then the forces which would cause snipe (stock moving relative to the cutter head after the ends move across the rollers) would have less relative effect.

Or something like that, I would think.

It's an idea. But I'm in software. Ask a hardware engineer.

And change the blades when the sound the planer makes seems to change. At least take them out, and clean the gunk off of them. Maybe a quick hone with some 800 grit wrapped around a chunk of maple.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Seen the same.

Smaller bites seem to reduce snipe as well.

And feeding the board at an angle to the knives can reduce snipe.

Reply to
WillR

they might also be sharper, right? would that effect snipe?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

damn... another problem with living on the west coast... I've never even SEEN a chunk of maple.. (or cherry, mesquite, birch, etc.)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Sharp blades can snipe plenty if you've got a snipe-prone machine (some brands are worse than others) or if the tables aren't adjusted properly. I'm not sure the fact that the blades are sharp, in and of itself, would reduce snipe one iota. Then again, maybe I'm wrong.

Dave

mac davis wrote:

Reply to
David

mac davis wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Lotsa big leaf maple in Norcal, Oregon & Washington. Good turning stuff. There's a 48" log of paper birch, 15" diameter, on my driveway that a friend rescued from the chippers when the tree trimmers were done.

I'm near Oakland, CA.

Friends are good to have. There's walnut due in this weekend.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Your kidding. I'm just outside Seattle and I cut two 50' maples out of my front yard.

Reply to
CW

hmm... I'll have to beat on my kid up at Fort Lewis to find me some hardwood! I have a garage and side yard full of logs and blanks now, but all pine, fir, etc...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Maybe it's just my area, Central Calif.... all soft wood here... When I lived in the Bay area, especially San Carlos, there were white oaks all over the place as street trees...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis