Plane Blade

I bought a Stanley No 7 from Ebay and the blade was "Not in the best shape" shall we say. So. I ordered a Veritas blade and cap iron from Lee Valley. The cap iron was back ordered and I just got it today. I paired it with the blade and gave myself a 32nd inch blade exposure and mounted it in the plane.
First the good news is, it makes wonderful shavings.
The bad news is, I have to adjust the screw all the way out to get the blade to engage. By "all the way out" I mean that the adjusting knob is half way off the screw and the wishbone is almost out of the groove in the nut.
So, is this normal or is there something I am not doing?
Deb
On 4/12/2013 6:20 PM, Dr. Deb wrote:

What does Lee Valley say?
Leon wrote:

They were closed by the time I got the cap from UPS and installed. But I will call them Monday.
On 4/12/2013 7:46 PM, Dr. Deb wrote:

It certainly does not sound right.
On 4/12/2013 8:46 PM, Dr. Deb wrote:

for the blade height on the no 7 is cap iron. Move it closer to the edge of the blade., if not, if the blade is that long, they have given you many , many years of sharpening. Which blade did you get, O1, A1, or PMV11?
--
Jeff

woodchucker wrote:

A2 blade with the cap iron. Of course its the cap iron that is causing the problem.
Deb

My suggestion is that you email them instead, possibly with a picture of the plane and new blade.
Call one person on the phone and you *might* talk to two or three to possibly get a possible answer. Email them and you may get an answer from a much larger knowledge pool.
"Dr. Deb" wrote in message

It could be normal but not right at the same time as the lengths of the chip breaker/cap iron varied over time on Stanley planes. Lie-Nielson mentions this issue on their site http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku
I guess the first question would be, How do the dimensions of the Veritas cap iron match up to the dimensions of the original Stanley? If it varies more than the .01" that L-N mentions then perhaps you need a custom cap iron.
John
On Friday, April 12, 2013 6:20:15 PM UTC-5, Dr. Deb wrote:

Can you see if the blade is flat onto/against the frog? I am wondering if it is not (properly) flat against the frog. If I'm understanding the problem correctly, loosen the frog and move it forward a bit.
Sonny

Try moving the frog back a bit.

Whoops! I should have said to move the frog forward ....

Try moving it side-to-side.
Dr. Deb wrote:

\For th ose of you who suggested moving the frog. I did but it made no difference.
John mentioned that the cap irons might be different and he may be on to something. I put the old cap iron on the Veritas blade and made wonderful shavings with the adjuster having about two or three threads showing.
BTW, this plane has the Bailey style frog adjuster on it. Would that make a difference?
Deb
Dr. Deb wrote:

Final, followup.
I called Lee Valley. Their only answer was to sent the cap iron back for a refund. It seems Vertias only makes one cap iron, which takes us to the Lie Neilson link and a custom cap iron. EXCEPT for the fact that the original cap iron does a great job ! I am pulling gossimer thin shavings and it just does not get better than that, at least, not in my shop. :-)
Thanks for all the imput.
Deb
Deb
"Dr. Deb" wrote in message