Stanley # 7 blade, lever cap, chip breaker.

I know where there is a # 7 ,actually it is a bailey, but it's missing the blade, chip breaker and lever cap. Pretty rough, rusty, but should clean up, will need re japaned or painted, but I could'nt find any cracks in it, and the mouth is in good shape. Tote and front knob are in pretty good shape. The sole does not appear to be twisted as far as I could tell by eye. What other blade, chip breaker and lever cap's will fit this? Is it the same as a # 5 Or # 6 ? Do you think it's worth $15.00? Thanks, Tony D.

Reply to
anthony Diodati

What shape is the wood in? If the wood is good, then its definitely worth $15 for the parts. If the wood is cracked or parts broken, I'd wait and see what comes up on ebay. You'll spend money for parts and likely not have a matched set, whereas for a few dollars more you could find a whole one.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

Hell yes it's worth $15.00. The sole alone, in good shape is worth that. Electrolytic derusting (Google is your friend) works great on cast iron soles.

The #7 cutter is 2 3/8" wide, same as the #6. The #4 and #5 are 2" wide. New parts can stil be bought directly from Stanley (Google this newsgroup for the 800 number). The equivalent parts from Lie Nielsen should fit too. I suggest you get the cutter (blade) at least from Ron Hock, Lie Nielsen or whoever else has a good rep for high quality aftermarket cutting irons.

Other manufacturers followed the Stanley pattern so closely that almost certainly the equivalent parts from a Sargent, Fulton, Millers Falls, Union, Winchester, Keen Kutter, Ohio Tools (with the possible exception of the tapered cutters), Dunlop, Record, or Craftsman will fit, even if they look a bit odd (e.g. you will be creating what is known as a Frankenplane). Some of those other brands were made by Stanley.

The cap irons (chip breakers) and lever caps pretty much have to be interchangeable in order for the cutting irons to be interchangeable.

Stanley's highly successful line of bench planes all followed from the design bought from Leonard Bailey. "Bailey" remained cast onto the Stanley planes for many years under some sort of arrangement, perhaps similar to the way "Goodrich" still appears on some tires even though BF Goodrich hasn't made tires for 20 years or so.

Patrick Leach (Google the web for Leach and Supertools) may be able to find you original replacement parts, the Sweetheart cutters (which were laminated) have an excellent reputation.

Reply to
fredfighter

Also the #4 1/2 and the #5 1/2.

If the base is usable and the frog is intact, then snap it up. Even if you cannibalise an entire smoother to make a good jointer plane, then it's still a bargain. Look around and you might find a good plane that has been dropped and cracked (admittedly easier for the common #4s) which makes an ideal donor. You can even exchange the woodwork and trimmings.

Stanley irons (except the Sweetheart) aren't much good so replacing them is no hardship. Clifton can also do you a two-piece cap iron (allows honing without disturbing settings) for a reasonable price. In extremis you can even use the lever cap from a 2" wide plane.

As posted, electrolysis is the way to go for de-rusting. You don't need to re-japan a user plane either.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The later models, yes. At least one of those two had a smaller cutter in the earlier models, I forget which and how much smaller (2 1/4" I think) but I have one of those somewhere. Probably it (they) was (were) resized to match the #6 and #7 for economy of scale.

Hmm the only smoother you could do this with would be a #4 1/2 which is typically more desireable than a #7! The knobs are pretty much interchangeable but the totes on the #5 and up are different having a second screw in them, than on the #4 and below. I do not remember if the tote on the #4 1/2 has the second screw or not.

Reply to
fredfighter

Thanks for all the replies. Yes the wood is in pretty good shape. So 2 3/8" wide is what I'd be looking for. Probley use the Electrolytic derusting , I have done this before, works well. Probley paint it just for the hell of it. Thanks, Tony

Reply to
anthony Diodati