Plan and measurments

Han wrote in news:Xns9B12A227B8226ikkezelf@

199.45.49.11:

The one real advantage of the U.S. system is that it allows for nicely graded levels of precision. Each successive division of the unit doubles the precision, whereas the metric system increases precision by a factor of

10 - not necessarily to advantage in construction.

If I'm laying out a foundation, I can work to the nearest 1/4". Squaring up the deck, 1/8". Framing walls are measured to th 16th, and trim details to the 32nd. The divisions are clearly delineated on the tape. Metric gives me the choice of centimeters and millimeters - using anything in between means counting millimeters on the tape, a sure source of error.

Just my 1/50 of a dollar -

Scott

Reply to
Elrond Hubbard

Is that marking on a typical rule?

Reply to
Leon

Elrond Hubbard wrote in news:Xns9B134F0C62EAFscram1adelphianet@216.151.153.45:

Why don't metric rules emphasize every 5th mark? That way, you could at least work to 1/2 cm, if you so choose. Anybody who can't do 5+5 and get

10 probably shouldn't be allowed to measure stuff anyway.

If you look at a customary rule, the 1" mark is the longest, 1/2" the next, 1/4" (increments) the next, and so on. It makes measuring quite a bit faster than counting all those lines.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

It's 0.5mm in the UK too :-)

Reply to
Stuart

^^^^^^^^^^^

Would you mind referring to the *imperial system* - feet and inches aren't unique to the USA. Indeed, you took them across from here with the first english settlers. They are still normal to those of us of my generation here in the UK.

Feet, inches, pounds, gallons, ounces are all "imperial" measure, metres, millimetres, kilogrammes, litres are all "metric"

Until about a year ago I was a fierce defendant of the imperial system but now see some of the advantages of working metric - largely through working with my daughter in her blacksmith's shop.

Reply to
Stuart

Usually for about the first 50mm, just like they put 1/32" for the first couple of inches. It's hypothetical because I can't read them without taking my glasses off (short sighted)

Tapes are different

Reply to
Stuart

Yes, I can suck eggs too :-)

For a board thickness I would use my marking gauge in a similar manner to that described. Checking from both sides of the board and adjusting until the scribed marks lie exactly on top of each other.

Just giving an example, perhaps I should have chosen a length such as 5ft

1.15/16. I tend to halve the 5ft, halve the inch and then halve the 16ths so when marking out I eye up the 2'6" mark, move an inch, then the 15/32 and make my mark.
Reply to
Stuart

If you mean the 5mm mark they are on all mine. 10mm divisions are longest.

5mm divisions about 2/3 that length and then othere are about 1/3
Reply to
Stuart

Stuart wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk:

Good to know someone else thought of that. Just about every metric rule I've paid attention to has 10mm marks emphasized but the 9 other marks are the same length. Maybe I just need better rules.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Stuart wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk:

I've done enough with both systems to see advantages and disadvantages to either system. I prefer woodworking with the US system, but precision measurements with tools like a Vernier caliper are easier with metric. I'm not even against mixing systems when the need arises. Did you know that HO scale uses a proportion of ~3.5mm to the 1ft? Purists are screaming, while pragmatists are getting work done. :-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

00, more common in the uk, uses 4mm to the foot but neither use a true scale gauge for the track. So much so that a major toy maker in the UK back in the 50s/early 60's used to refer to their stuff as 00/H0
Reply to
Stuart

You can't divide metric measurements by 2?

1.416 meters...

1416mm/2 = 708mm

The most convoluted metric measure we'd find in woodworking still can be easily stated in millimeters that are easily divided.

It's 10's, just like US money and our hands.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Err, yes.

I think I have already made that point.

Reply to
Stuart

Stuart wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk:

It was at first very confusing, the switch in delimiters. 50.000,00 Dutch guilders in Holland, 15,000.00 US dollars in the US (except the exchange rate was really different, amounts only for illustration purposes).

From a Dutch car web page : Chrysler Grand Voyager 2.8 CRD Limited price as new car: ? 62.300 road taxes: ? 496 - ? 526/quarter delivery costs: ? 1.080

Exchange rate today: $1.4121/?

Reply to
Han

Yes it is. I didn't mention that because it would add another layer of confusion.

When you want a

You've been more successful with that than I. I tried that a few times, for the same reason, but imperial thinking got in the way and I gave it up. With the work that I do, halving 13/16" normally isn't an issue.

Reply to
Tanus

It what why all of Europe is built crooked?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:cTkxk.20380$jI5.5279 @flpi148.ffdc.sbc.com:

If the civil engineers in Pisa had been using a Lee Valley sliding bevel instead of one from the local Depot della Casa, things would have turned out very differently.

Reply to
Elrond Hubbard