Plan and measurments

Page 1 of 2
Hi to all woodworking friends, I am doing a little bit of furniture design. I would like to know if metric measurments would be acceptable for the US woodworker? You may request a sample drawing from me. Keep on your good work. Best wishes from Sweden and Klas
Klas from Creum wrote:

I can only answer for myself... Metric is fine!
Klas from Creum wrote:

Think that would depend on what/who you're after -- for the casual/hobby/weekender, I'd think "not so much". Most folks w/o technical training in the US just aren't familiar enough w/ metric to be comfortable thinking in those units (and even I, though a NucE for 30+ yrs w/ still think natively in English outside the specialized environment).

If you want to appeal to more than a few people, No!

a simple divide by 2.5 doesn't work exactly. Mostly the problem is visualizing the distances/measurements. Having grown up long ago in metric, I still find the intricacies of US measurements confounding, but on the other hand, more easy to draw in my mind.
I wouldn't mind seeing metric drawings ... And I am sure there are some here who can easily transpose them into US measurements, although for precise drawings, they may need to be redone. Morris Dovey, any comments?
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

I'd very much prefer inch measurements, but if the plan was for something that I found especially beautiful/exciting, I'd probably shrug and take the time to convert the measurements.
If the plan requires metric hardware, then it might be important to make that absolutely clear - and a list of sources would bring you much good karma.
I'm not sure I'm the right guy to ask since I don't build much furniture and almost nothing that I do build is likely to be thought beautiful by any normal person... :-)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Even if 2.5 did divide exactly, there is bound to be a miscalculation at least one time when manually converting a metric drawing into US measurements.
Mostly the problem is

I think I could go with a metric drawing If all my equipment had metric measurements.

than 2. However, I like my son-in-law's T-shirt that says: There are only 10 kinds of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
--
Best regards
Han

To which I always ask, what is half of 1 mm?
Leon wrote:

Answer: RCH
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

500 microns or 5,000,000 angstroms.

My answer is 0.5 mm (here in the US; in Holland it woud be 0,5 mm).
--
Best regards
Han

Is that marking on a typical rule?

Usually for about the first 50mm, just like they put 1/32" for the first couple of inches. It's hypothetical because I can't read them without taking my glasses off (short sighted)
Tapes are different
--
Stuart Winsor

It's 0.5mm in the UK too :-)
--
Stuart Winsor

guilders in Holland, 15,000.00 US dollars in the US (except the exchange rate was really different, amounts only for illustration purposes).
From a Dutch car web page <http://www.autoweek.nl/carbase_data.php?idH641&cache=no : Chrysler Grand Voyager 2.8 CRD Limited price as new car: 62.300 road taxes: 496 - 526/quarter delivery costs:      1.080
Exchange rate today:     $1.4121/
--
Best regards
Han

The one real advantage of the U.S. system is that it allows for nicely graded levels of precision. Each successive division of the unit doubles the precision, whereas the metric system increases precision by a factor of 10 - not necessarily to advantage in construction.
If I'm laying out a foundation, I can work to the nearest 1/4". Squaring up the deck, 1/8". Framing walls are measured to th 16th, and trim details to the 32nd. The divisions are clearly delineated on the tape. Metric gives me the choice of centimeters and millimeters - using anything in between means counting millimeters on the tape, a sure source of error.
Just my 1/50 of a dollar -
Scott

Why don't metric rules emphasize every 5th mark? That way, you could at least work to 1/2 cm, if you so choose. Anybody who can't do 5+5 and get 10 probably shouldn't be allowed to measure stuff anyway.
If you look at a customary rule, the 1" mark is the longest, 1/2" the next, 1/4" (increments) the next, and so on. It makes measuring quite a bit faster than counting all those lines.
Puckdropper

Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

If you mean the 5mm mark they are on all mine. 10mm divisions are longest. 5mm divisions about 2/3 that length and then othere are about 1/3
--
Stuart Winsor

Good to know someone else thought of that. Just about every metric rule I've paid attention to has 10mm marks emphasized but the 9 other marks are the same length. Maybe I just need better rules.
Puckdropper