Lawrence Wasserman wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Hi all,

It is in Peoria and her name is Katie.

Chef

Reply to
Master Chef Richard Campbell

great! Now the stalkers know where to go!

dave

Master Chef Richard Campbell wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I have a grizzly 5hp cabinet saw. it was the best purchase i ever made. i have 3 grizzly 14.4v cordless drills. that was the worst purchase i ever made. they are truly the cheapest pieces of crap i have ever wasted money on. i vowed not to purchase any of their other small power tool (even though the prices make it tempting). it's just not worth it if you get a piece of junk in the mail. be careful with that grizzly sander option.

Reply to
RemodGuy

i refuse to use the HD self checkout. it's just another excuse for them to put fewer cashiers on duty. i have 3 HD within 20 minutes of me. most of the time their is only ONE cashier on duty. they rely on self checkout too heavily. when they lower their prices because of the labor savings or give a discount at the self scan, then i'll start using them. until then, i buy everything i can at real stores.

Reply to
RemodGuy

Looked at the name tag too, huh? :-)

Reply to
gabriel

I'm gonna assume that's Illinois and not Arizona since there are absolutely no master chefs in Arizona.....

Gary

Reply to
GeeDubb

Reply to
Puff Griffis

Have you thought about perhaps Home Depot isn't raising prices as fast because of self checkout? How much money does a cashier really cost anyhow? I'm guessing the cost of labor is 15 to 30 cents per customer. A self checkout I would guess at a cost of 7 to 15 cents per customer.

Do you think Home Depot is suddenly going to be lower all the prices by much because they are spending 15 cents less per customer who uses self checkout?

I've gone out of my way to shop at stores with self checkout because I generally have to stand in line for much less time. I really wish Target would get self checkouts. I don't the level of people who work as chasiers are really hurting for a job.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

My Two Cents HOME DEPOT SUCKS.....Employyes are rude and most dont have a clue If you cant find what you want they certainly wont. They only stand behind thier products if you have a reciept (mabey) They close lanes and bring in the fork lift while your shopping in it and tell you to leave. Shop at the little guys they appriciate you more and your dollrs mean more to them than any home depot store manager. I say Use the sander blow it off and bring it back.

Reply to
<jeano33

They don't measure it that way. Businesses measure labor cost per time period (ie, month or quarter). In that way, someone costing (including taxes, health plan, 401K, etc...), say $30K/year (wild guess, donlt know what the total cost of a $10/hour employee actually is) would make a significant impact on labor expenses. At the local Hd they have one person manning 4 self checkout stations, that means that the labor cost went down to 1/4th (assuming 4 cashiers were replaced). Even if you say

4 self checkouts replace 3 cashiers, that's a hell of a savings from a business point of view.

I wish that was the same here. I avoid them like the plague because I _always_ get in line behind some slow idiot that can;t figure it out. The helper is usually helping some other slow idiot at the time, so the wait is excruciating.

Very few people in USA really hurt for a job. Unemployment's too low right now for that many people to be hurting for a job.

Reply to
gabriel

I had the same experience a few weeks ago.

While waiting in line, I asked the clerk to have the manager ask for help. She did. He came on the intercom and told someone to help check out. Nobody showed up so I called the store from my cell phone and asked for the manager. I got right to him. I told him that his employees were ignoring his directive. A short while later, several employees literally ran to the front of the store.

Sweet victory.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

That sucks, but... Maybe try speaking to a cashier and ask if they couldn't get some other cashiers up to the registers? Some of them might not give a dang, but some might very well have not thought of it, or hesitated because they felt they were to busy ringing up customers to stop for 15 seconds to call the mgr on duty or the "racetrack mgr".

As I was told growing up... It Never Hurts to Ask.

Reply to
Keith Carlson

Actually the HD is in IL but there are 4 Master Chef's in AZ. I check my ACF Alumni book.

Chef

Reply to
Master Chef Richard Campbell

Are you also opposed to bar codes and scanners? They reduced a lot of labor too.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Any restaurant recommendations (this question asked by an AZ native). I haven't found any with what I'd call...master chef quality yet.

Gary

Reply to
GeeDubb

That's why I won't have anything to do with those stupid membership clubs. If you make me jump through hoops just to get in the damn door and give you my money, you can kiss my ass.

Reply to
Silvan

While the enforcement of this policy sounds over the top, it strikes me that there seems to be a group of people with the attitude, "the rules don't apply to me"

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

...hadn't heard that one before...it's now in my book although I'll change it to "Don't sweat the petty things"...thanks!

Reply to
Tom Kohlman

Well, I've been reading this thread and getting quite a laugh, until now. I got to chime in about this one. Never ever have I been asked to leave an aisle so they could use a lift truck. I have had the guys help me load stuff, maybe to get me out of the aisle faster, but never, never asked to leave so they could pull a lift in and use it. All the employees and managers are very helpful at the 3 I frequent. They went out of their way to get me some drawer bails that the mfg. quit supplying when I built LOML's bedroom suite. As far as a receipt, my Ridgid shop vac of 4 years crapped out just 2 weeks ago. Hell, I'm lucky to have receipts from 4 weeks ago, much less 4 years. I took it back, the lady at the returns called back to the hardware guy, he came up, looked at it, asked me what happened, I told him it took a dump. He said wait just a sec. He came back with a brand new

16 gallon vac, hoses and all. And I didn't even take the old hose and fittings. He said have fun with it, if anything ever happens to any of the other tools I've bought there, bring 'em back. Maybe I'm one of the few, but I'm proud of the service I got! No disrespect to any of the Marines out there. Again, just my nickels worth.
Reply to
Jerry Gilreath