pissed at HD

Yea, Dixie Dieway, Hurstborne and the one right down the street by me on Preston Highway. It's (the Preston one) is the newer of the three. I've been in the ones across the river a few times also, but just to run in and get a specific something or other. But, like I said, I may just be one lucky SOB.

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

Well, yea you can, since it's a real store. Fairytale Land is where....nevermind. It's the store on Preston Highway, South East Louisville. The hours are from 7 A.M. till 10 P.M. Monday through Saturday,

8 A.M. till 6 P.M. on Sunday. Just don't park in the third space from the west end in the fifth row, that's reserved for the customer of the month, 19 months running!!!!! Namely me!!! hahahaha. BTW, dude is a want to be cowboy. A cowboy I ain't!!
Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

Yeah, but tell us how you really feel?

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

Life is a series of compromises. If you are unable to accept this compromise, then go down the street to the speciality shop that will meet your higher expectiations, and be prepared to compensate them for their efforts.

month/year/decade

Reply to
Jack

Jerry, I just can't place a HD on Preston. We talking some where between the Waterson & Jean Snyder, out pass Loews or back in towards the river?

I've never had a cashier in ANY store shut down a lane I already in. Swap out cashiers a few times, but never shut it down.

Maybe they just recognize you, RemodGuy, and are running for cover?

Reply to
John Keeney

It just about a mile or so north of the Snyder. Let's see, just a couple blocks north of Southern High. Right across the street from Thorntons, and behind Micky D's. There's a Sprint store and a mattress store in front.

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

Well, Borders sells books. HD sells ... EVERYTHING. It's probably much easier to train a new Borders cashier than a HD one.

Also, Borders employees don't have to stand there and explain how to read a book to every Joe Homeowner that comes in. They are probably more often available to come up and check you out.

Do you want to be a Home Depot cashier? Your answer to that question may be why there aren't enough HD cashiers.

BTW, I've had GREAT service at my local HD. I bought a couple storm doors to put on the house, and due to a miscalculation, they wouldn't fit in the car. So I went to their "rent a truck" place, only to find that the truck was already rented by someone else. The rent-a-truck-desk guy asked where I lived, so I told him. (It wasn't just a hop, skip, or jump away by the way.) He immediately told his coworker that he'd be back soon, and said he'd follow me in his pickup with my doors. I tried to tip him when we got to my house, but he simply said, "Thanks for shopping at Home Depot. Come back soon!"

Just my 2 cents, Adam

Reply to
Adam

they should recognize me. in 2003 i put a total of $116,680.00 on company's depot charge (and yes i paid every dime of it). i may not be their biggest customer (nor are they my biggest supplier), but you'd think ching like that would warrant some consideration.

Reply to
RemodGuy

I see way too many of those people every day, the people who figure that they can violate any law, break any rule, do anything they want to do because they're special.

When you purchase a membership at one of those clubs, you agree to follow their rules. Let's face it, it's their store, their coffee, their rules. They have every right to tell you what you can and cannot do on their property, and if you don't like it, you have a right to take your business elsewhere.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

I have been lurking here for some weeks but this thread has my interest. I am an old codger in Ottawa, Ont. spent years in retail serving (yes, serving) the public, and I see too many of the younger people accepting poor service without a whimper. Well, I ask for management when I receive poor service out of the ordinary, BUT I also go out-of-my-way to praise good service when it is received. On the other hand I try and keep it all in perspective.

Here in Ottawa, the worst service is at our Canadian Tire Stores, sort a hardware style WalMarts. And WalMart are little better. Their "associates" ignore customers unless they trip over them and I am convinced that I have becomen invisible.

AS for HD they seem a cut above what you have down south. We have at least 3 within 20 minutes. I am always agreeably surprised at their staff. They are knowledgeable and universally helpful. If they can't answer a question, they will go and find someone who can. Returns are never a problem and there are always adequate cashs open, perhaps 2-3 patrons ahead.

Now the negatives re: HD. They have driven most of the competition out-of-business (e.g. the Beaver lumber store, many hardware stores.) I have a firefighter son who is into renovations and he is always pissed at HD because he does not get the "service" he receives at an independent lumber/hardware dealer. Of course, as long as his client pays the shot, price does not mean much.

As for Costco, for the first few years that they came into Canada, I was negative, having seen the membership concept years ago. But when I became miffed at the other big grocery chains here, we tried Costco and use them extensively. We need to wath their prices, not overbuy, and love their return policy. And their staff is well trained in customer relations. Probably 65% of our food budget in spent at Costco and a significant amount of other goods.

So, we like HD and Costco even though we would rather patronize Canadian companies. As for WalMart, I guess that they have a place.

Sorry for the rant...

Reply to
Don Bartlett

depends on what you use them for. for cabinet work anything bigger is a waste of money and energy (those 18V drills weigh a damn ton). i have 9 in the shop right now (not counting those threee crappy grizzly's). most are 12v makita, hitachi, bosch, or milwaukee. have a 15.6V metabo. great tool. smooth action. but to heavy to use all day long. i have to chuckle when i see joe homeowner toting around his new 18V cordless that some idiot at HD suckered him into. stop watching Tim Allen. its not just about power. most of the 18V's i've handled are too heavy, poorly balanced, and too large to get into small spaces.

the best cordless i've run across thus far is the 14.4V Bosch Compact. Bosch makes a great tool. the weight is very comfortable and its compact frame makes its very practical for shop work. They run $150-$170 around here, but worth it. after my experiance with the grizzly garbage, i'm planning to pick up 3 or 4 of the Bosch.

If someone has something similar to the Bosch that i may not have thought of, please let me know (before i shell out $650 for a few more shop drills).

Reply to
RemodGuy

Around here the difference is nearly 20 cents (on premium) at Costco vs the less expensive regular places.

Renata

Reply to
Renata

Around here, most places seem to be having a hard time finding enough folks to hire to be cashiers. What the reason for that, I don't know, but those self serve things alleviate the problem and I find them quite handy. Even ran a bunch of those trademen clamps thru (scanning the clamps wasn't the problem; loading them into ONE bag was and the system got unhappy when I moved them off the scale thingie).

Renata

Reply to
Renata

Now, why would you try to run lumber thru one of those things? They don't have a hand held scanner, so you gotta kinda figure that cashier assistance would be required for something like lumber, and go thru a regular check out. Aything I can't lift (weight or size) to scan, I go thru a regular check out and let the cashier handle it w/the hand scanner.

Renata

Reply to
Renata

The level of courtesy and service seems to vary by location. Mechanicsburg, PA Home Depot is usually a quite pleasant experience for me (with the exception of carpet) - realizing they're not a ww'g store, etc. They've gone out of their way at times to help out. The HDs around the DC area (MD side) vary by location and the shoddier parts have shoddier service. None around here though come close to the courtesy and service I find in PA.

Renata

Reply to
Renata

I refuse to use them so far. Note: I said "so far" because I don't know that will happen in the future. I despise having to check myself out. Our local K Mart just took them out, but the Wal Mart put them in.

Not enough good help available, especially at low wages. People with high skills and talent are working in medical offices at 50% more in wages. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski