pissed at HD

|On my clamp claming trip this morning to HD, I got to try out one of the |U-Scan sort-of. A bored cashier came over and did everything but put the |money in it. She was cute and had a odd day glo colored tape measure clipped |on to her jeans and real looking butterfly tatoo in the small of her back. |She caught me checking it out and I told her that I was trying to figure out |what brand her tape measure was. Lame I know but hey. She then turned around |and stuck out her chest and said most guys say that they are trying to read |her name off her apron.

So what was her name?

I didn't think so.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Well, I'm talking about the 3 stores in the Louisville, Ky. area, and nope, the newest one has been open for a little over 5 years. I have stopped in stores from Indianapolis to Nashville, to Knoxville and had basically the same service. My job don't get me any farther northeast than Columbus, Ohio, thank goodness. Especially in the winter months. It's bad enough driving in the south in the winter! As I said, it's my opinion, and my experiences with them. That's why we're on the wRECk, and in America. Every one is free to voice their own opinion.

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

Hey Wes

I guess you missed the earlier post were I stated that her name was Katie and Lufkin Day Glo tape measure.

Chef

Reply to
Master Chef Richard Campbell

Hawkeye! thought your series was over long ago!

dave

dave

Jerry Gilreath wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

ever seen the prices at Costco?

dave

Silvan wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I used to feel the same way. Just last month at BJ's I saved $100 on a TV over the price at Best Buy. That is enoughto pay for my membership for 2 1/2 years. Want more examples? I put pork loin for $1.79 a pound, same thing as the $4.99 stuff at the Stop & Shop. Not everything is a bargain, but I watch priceas and I know I save quite a ibt of money every month. At BJ's,. no hoops either.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I guess they only want YOUR money after 11:00 am.

Reply to
David Binkowski

You're pissed because you had to stand in a line for a little while? You are kidding right? You never spend much time in the military did you?

Keep it, return it, it doesn't matter....what I think you need is to grow up!

just my .02 worth...

Philski

DJ wrote:

Reply to
Philski

I'm in Jeffersonville. I know about, and am occasionally in, the stores in Clarksville, New Albany and on Hurstborn. Those the three or are there others in Louisville I've missed. Hmm, seems I have passed one on Dixie Highway between here and Knox.

Well, I have been run out of an isle in Clarksville so they could use the lift but they did offer help before hand and I'ld told them I was just killing time.

Reply to
John Keeney

It's probably not the standing in line, but the one clerk that is the issue. There are two Border's Bookstores in my area. Both are *excellent* at opening more registers whenever there gets to be a line. The only time I've had to stand in line > 5 minutes is Christmas season. ;-)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

For me, the big savings is gas at Costco. Most local stations average a minimum 5 cents a gallon higher than Costco, the only one that is within a penny only takes cash, debit card, or one of their gift cards. This other station's gift cards are fine if you fill up exactly with the full amount of the card, otherwise you get socked an extra amount (think its 50 cents) every time you use that card. So Costco gas is much more reasonable and less hassle than anywhere else.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

problem is, charles, their prices are nowhere near low enough to make up for the complete lack of service and ever increasing lack of selection. it is no secret that the everage HD employee, bearing an apron reading "i help in all departments", doesn't even know WHERE most of those departments are in the store. not to mention the fact that even if they know "where" they sure as hell dont know "what" or "how to". I get by in those hell holes because (unfortunately) i have been in them enough to know my way around. i sepnd more time in there helping lost customers than the employees do. I have on several occasions overheard HD employees giving completely incorrect directions to "joe homeowner" as if he were an expert in the field. and "yes" i wait until that person walks away and i set them straight.

back to the pricing... sure they are lower. if you dont care what brand you buy. i am a serious woodworker, you sure as hell wont find a $10 skil sander in my shop. HD owns most of the names on the merchandise in their stores. everything from tools to light fixtures. the HD that first opened up in my area almost 10 years ago carried MIlwaukee, PC, Bosch, Makita. Now all you see is that Ridgid crap, skil, ryobi. poorly made and overpriced for what it is.

So the answer is "HELL YES I PAY MORE DOWN THE STREET" because I get a BETTER PRODUCT, BETTER SERVICE, AND BETTER PRICES BY COMPARISON".

PS. sorry charles, not a personal attack. I just hate the hopless depot.

n message news:...

Reply to
RemodGuy

of course not, dave. they don't know and certainly don't care. but sometimes in life you have to do things solely on principal. i have to look at myself in the mirror every morning to shave. this is something i feel strongly about (and yes i know it is something infinitely small compared to the big picture).

Reply to
RemodGuy

dude, can i come to your fairy tale HD? if something like that ever happened to me in HD, i would surely faint. my favorite is when you wait inline for 15 minutes and the cashier turns her light off just befoe you get to the register and just looks at you and walks away. and i dont want to hear anyone say i'm overreacting, that has happened to me several times at different stores. their service just plain sucks.

Reply to
RemodGuy

Take your buisness elsewhere. They are there because they offer a service, however valued, at a cost. They will still be there next month/year/decade because most of us are willing to get the basic supplies at a reasonable cost, despite the service.

Reply to
Jack

gee, I can use the self check out line and STILL glance at my mug once in a while... :)

dave

RemodGuy wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

No hoops, no problem. The only place we have around here is a Sam's Club in the next city over. They definitely have hoops in spades.

I don't care if they have a 15,000 count of Super Soft toilet paper for $1.50, or 50 pounds of filet mignon for $3.95. They can still kiss my ass.

Reply to
Silvan

The lady with two buggies (one for groceries, to pay for with food stamps, and one full of beer and cigarettes to pay for with cash) in the 20 items or less lane, who then has $35 worth of coupons to dig out, half of which are expired, and then cusses the cashier out because of a 50-cent difference in the price of a package of microwave popcorn.

(I was the cashier. I hope I never, ever have to be a cashier again. I'd rather smash one of my testicles with a sledge hammer.)

Reply to
Silvan

maybe that's the problem, jack. people are to willing to settle for less. think about it. you're willing to walk into a dirty store and be treated poorly in order to save a few dollars. very sad thought that the average person can be bought for a couple bucks.

Reply to
RemodGuy

|maybe that's the problem, jack. people are to willing to settle for |less. think about it. you're willing to walk into a dirty store and |be treated poorly in order to save a few dollars. very sad thought |that the average person can be bought for a couple bucks.

There is also the sometimes fallacy that the you're saving the few bucks at the Borg and it's worth the grief to get them.

A coupla examples:

1) A few days ago, I decided to build an overhead rack to store some lumber in my garage. I have open I-joists so I installed some blocking between them and dangled some three-foot lengths of ½" threaded rod down to support the rack. After putting some load on it I decided I better add a couple of more rods. It's a 20-mile round trip to HD but only five miles to a little one-man hole-in-the-wall hardware store out here in the country where I live. The $3.87 each rods at HD cost $2.99 at the Do-It-Best, or whatever it's called.

2) I added some grounding to a ham radio tower of mine. AWG 6 bare copper, fifty cents a foot at HD, 30 cents at a local electrical supply place that caters to DIY.

When I built my house addition a few years ago I found a lot of this. If you're buying one do-dad at HD and it's 47 cents versus 33 cents someplace else, you probably don't care. But when you buy a hundred do-dads, that 30% lower cost is real money. The specialty shops gave better service, had knowledgeable help and very often lower prices. They also offered quantity discounts.

Wes Stewart

Reply to
Wes Stewart