pissed at HD

tonight I went to HD to pick up that Ridgid 6" ROS that's been getting good reviews. Because they just remodeled the store, everything was 10% off. Anyway, they had like 7-8 customers in line- most with carts loaded with lumber- with half as many employees doing this and that within eye shot, but with only one clerk doing check-out. People ahead of me were grumbling because of the wait, and in situations like this I tend to have a short fuse. when it was my turn, I had the poor girl page the manager and angrily let him know that I considered the situation to be his fault, and it'll be a long while before I'll set foot back in the store- blah blah blah. I'm still steamed and feel like returning this sander even before opening the box. My question is: Is this sander good enough that I should keep it and forget about this one more nail in the coffin, or teach em' a lesson in my own small way and return it?

DJ

Reply to
DJ

Anthony Diodati

huh?

Reply to
jd

switch to decaf, spend some quality time in the shop and don't let the little things bother you so much. I'm not making light of what happened believe me, but your physical and mental health are going to suffer.

I speak from first hand experience, for 13 years I had suffered from it until I learned to calm down and not let the 'little things' get to me so much. Now for the last 3 years my blood pressure has 'eased down' and my 'nerves' are much better. This is what lead me to woodworking in the first place.

Reply to
KYHighlander

Keep it. Put the last nail in, countersink it, putty over and use your new sander to finish it off. They'd only take the unopened box, put it back on the shelf and sell it at full price to the next guy in the door.

I only go to HD for what the other locals don't have in stock- a specific valve that fits my radiators. Been in there twice in the last three or four years.

Reply to
Victor Radin

If you do choose to return it - don't bring any firearms 'cause you're gonna be standing in another line.

Reply to
Eric Ryder

...better advice yet is to choose your battles. I've known too many people that dropped dead because of getting riled about stupid things that should not warrant burning a "chit" (rule of thumb is to think that you only get

10/year...if you want to burn them all on Jan 2, then it's your choice but I tend to save mine and usually they all expire on Dec 31).

If you are in perfect health and that doesn't bother you, you may want to consider the fact that the 85 people behind you that simply wanted to pay for a box of nails and get out of there are not at all impressed with "bravado".

Reply to
Tom Kohlman

Lay off the caffiene, leave home earlier next time and just chill. Life is not worth getting upset over such trivial things...(In case you want to give me the finger, remember that you are "Number One" with me too.)

Get over it and make some sawdust!

Reply to
Mark Hopkins

Keep it.

Don't sweat the petting things, and don't pet the sweaty things. ;-)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

of course I got this tonight via email, if it is a better deal then I might consider a return.

KYHighlander

While not disagreeing with your first point, most of the time here, there is nobody at the tool section cash register.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Some of the truly awful events in my 56-year life began with the idea that I would teach someone a lesson.

Reply to
Ratchet

Actually, I asked for the manager after I had already paid, and brooded while waiting for him to show up.

DJ

That's what stood out for me. He got upset because he had to wait while the 7-8 people in front of him got served, yet he felt compelled to delay the people in line behind him, while he complained. Should have gone to the service desk, and had them call the manager. Besides, he should have been able to pay at the tool section.

JOAT It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.

- Pete Maccarrone

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 5 Feb 2004. Some tunes I like.

DJ

DJ

Life is too short to get upset over something as trivial as this.

Reply to
Rumpty

Indeed, I guess this has happened to businesses. Reminds of the time at Costco where the membership checker lady refused to allow me to go the food kiosk for a cup of coffee. It was 10:30, and my membership doesn't allow me in until 11:00am. Well, I walked right past the stunned woman while she was still talking and proceeded to walk up and order my hot mocha. A scene ensued, and a different employee ran up yelling at the food person, "don't serve this man coffee!", and told me he was going to escort out of the store. I held my tongue as I walked out to my truck, finally defeated- without my coffee, when the manager comes up to me as I was opening the door to explain the store policies, and said just this once I'll be allowed to enter the store early to get a coffee- I think that he thought I was going to get a firearm or something and go on a rampage. Sheesh- all because I wanted a coffee.

Reply to
DJ

try to find out when the store is not so busy and shop then. beats getting all steamed. If I go to Costco in the morning it's busy as hell. If I go around 7PM it's usually slow and check-out is a breeze. Learn to go with the "flow"...

dave

DJ wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Different memberships only allow you in the store at certain times?

...?

Reply to
tmbg

Sounds to me like you may just be a self centered ass.

If you're not happy waiting in the line to buy something at HD, put it down and leave. I don't know a thing about Costco, but either buy the membership that lets you in earlier or shop there when they are open to your business. Just play & pay by the rules or stay out, why the heck should you warrant an exception?

Reply to
John Keeney

Count your blessings. The HD closest to my home doesn't even *have* a cash register in the tool section.

Doug Miller

Get a life!!! Do you always go bullshit when you don't get your way?? Your mommy should have taught you better.

Reply to
Mike