pissed at HD

Page 1 of 6
tonight I went to HD to pick up that Ridgid 6" ROS that's been getting good reviews. Because they just remodeled the store, everything was 10% off. Anyway, they had like 7-8 customers in line- most with carts loaded with lumber- with half as many employees doing this and that within eye shot, but with only one clerk doing check-out. People ahead of me were grumbling because of the wait, and in situations like this I tend to have a short fuse. when it was my turn, I had the poor girl page the manager and angrily let him know that I considered the situation to be his fault, and it'll be a long while before I'll set foot back in the store- blah blah blah. I'm still steamed and feel like returning this sander even before opening the box. My question is: Is this sander good enough that I should keep it and forget about this one more nail in the coffin, or teach em' a lesson in my own small way and return it?
DJ
I'd keep it, they wont care if you return it. Tony Dd.

...better advice yet is to choose your battles. I've known too many people that dropped dead because of getting riled about stupid things that should not warrant burning a "chit" (rule of thumb is to think that you only get 10/year...if you want to burn them all on Jan 2, then it's your choice but I tend to save mine and usually they all expire on Dec 31).
If you are in perfect health and that doesn't bother you, you may want to consider the fact that the 85 people behind you that simply wanted to pay for a box of nails and get out of there are not at all impressed with "bravado".

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net says...

While not disagreeing with your first point, most of the time here, there is nobody at the tool section cash register.

Count your blessings. The HD closest to my home doesn't even *have* a cash register in the tool section.
Actually, I asked for the manager after I had already paid, and brooded while waiting for him to show up.
DJ
(Tom Kohlman) says: <snip> you may want to consider the fact that the 85 people behind youthat simply wanted to pay for a box of nails and get out of there are not at all impressed with "bravado".
That's what stood out for me. He got upset because he had to wait while the 7-8 people in front of him got served, yet he felt compelled to delay the people in line behind him, while he complained. Should have gone to the service desk, and had them call the manager. Besides, he should have been able to pay at the tool section.
JOAT It's what you learn after you know it all that counts. - Pete Maccarrone
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 5 Feb 2004. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKE /
huh?

switch to decaf, spend some quality time in the shop and don't let the little things bother you so much. I'm not making light of what happened believe me, but your physical and mental health are going to suffer.
I speak from first hand experience, for 13 years I had suffered from it until I learned to calm down and not let the 'little things' get to me so much. Now for the last 3 years my blood pressure has 'eased down' and my 'nerves' are much better. This is what lead me to woodworking in the first place.
--

http://users.adelphia.net/~kyhighland

"DJ" < snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net> wrote in message

While I agree that you shouldn't let the little things bother you, and I agree that perhaps the OP gets a bit too upset a little too easily, I think it would be in the manager's best interest to understand that employees who are all in the area could put their little projects down for 2 minutes and open another register or two until the line get backs down to 1 or 2 people. EVERYONE wins since the customers will be happy and will come back and spend more money.
I had the same experience a few weeks ago.
While waiting in line, I asked the clerk to have the manager ask for help. She did. He came on the intercom and told someone to help check out. Nobody showed up so I called the store from my cell phone and asked for the manager. I got right to him. I told him that his employees were ignoring his directive. A short while later, several employees literally ran to the front of the store.
Sweet victory.
Rob

says...

Keep it. Put the last nail in, countersink it, putty over and use your new sander to finish it off. They'd only take the unopened box, put it back on the shelf and sell it at full price to the next guy in the door.
I only go to HD for what the other locals don't have in stock- a specific valve that fits my radiators. Been in there twice in the last three or four years.

If you do choose to return it - don't bring any firearms 'cause you're gonna be standing in another line.
Indeed, I guess this has happened to businesses. Reminds of the time at Costco where the membership checker lady refused to allow me to go the food kiosk for a cup of coffee. It was 10:30, and my membership doesn't allow me in until 11:00am. Well, I walked right past the stunned woman while she was still talking and proceeded to walk up and order my hot mocha. A scene ensued, and a different employee ran up yelling at the food person, "don't serve this man coffee!", and told me he was going to escort out of the store. I held my tongue as I walked out to my truck, finally defeated- without my coffee, when the manager comes up to me as I was opening the door to explain the store policies, and said just this once I'll be allowed to enter the store early to get a coffee- I think that he thought I was going to get a firearm or something and go on a rampage. Sheesh- all because I wanted a coffee.

Different memberships only allow you in the store at certain times?
...?
On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 05:20:59 +0000, DJ wrote:

Both Costco and Sam's Club have special hours for business members only from like 7:00 am to 10:00 am or 11:00 am.
At Sam's Club, they don't open the regular IN doors and have business members come in a different entrance.
They supposedly do this so business members can get in and out quickly without waiting behind mom buying groceries for a month or whatever.
Brian Elfert

without fighting the regular consumers during the first hour of the morning. Getting a cup of coffee to wait with would hardly stress out the business customers. The policy is probably sound, but the enforcement of it seemed over the top.

Sounds to me like you may just be a self centered ass.
If you're not happy waiting in the line to buy something at HD, put it down and leave. I don't know a thing about Costco, but either buy the membership that lets you in earlier or shop there when they are open to your business. Just play & pay by the rules or stay out, why the heck should you warrant an exception?
DJ wrote:

That's why I won't have anything to do with those stupid membership clubs. If you make me jump through hoops just to get in the damn door and give you my money, you can kiss my ass.
ever seen the prices at Costco?
dave
Silvan wrote:

Silvan wrote:

I used to feel the same way. Just last month at BJ's I saved $100 on a TV over the price at Best Buy. That is enoughto pay for my membership for 2 1/2 years. Want more examples? I put pork loin for $1.79 a pound, same thing as the $4.99 stuff at the Stop & Shop. Not everything is a bargain, but I watch priceas and I know I save quite a ibt of money every month. At BJ's,. no hoops either.
--
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net