Ping Larry Jaques

Page 4 of 5

Could maybe still do that. Spent much of my youth playing in country bands. We weren't any good, but had a lot of fun. I sang, played rythm guitar and would you believe, button accordian. Used to earn more than my day job playing 3 nights a week. Spent most of it on bikes and booze and broads. ...... the rest I just wasted. ; ) They were the best days. I see kids today who have 10 times more ability and talent than I ever dreamed of, who can't get a decent gig for free, let alone earn from it. How the world has changed.
diggerop
On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 03:03:56 +0800, diggerop wrote:

Not all endangered species are worth saving :-).

You'll keep, ...... ya mongrel. : )
diggerop

I suspect most of us older wreckers would understand it. Those that didn't would likely get a good laugh out of it at least.
Hell, you could start your own "what is it?" group which is posted here regularly. Only, in your case you say something and we try to figure out what it is. Sounds like fun to me.

I'll do that .... could be entertaining : )
diggerop

Give it a try. Post a half dozen lines of text and then let people try to interpret them. (No hidden Aussies or New Zealanders allowed to answer). I suspect your dialect is laced with the occasional profanity, so we'll allow you to use it. Give it a little time for people to answer (you can choose the time period) and then you can judge which answers come closest. We can call it something like Diggerop's Dictionary.
On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 08:20:57 -0500, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com scrawled the following:

Oops, I might have blown that with the link in my last post. So solly.
---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary ===================================================

Leads me to another question. Do most of you buggers understand the English speaking tourists that visit?

No problem at all. It's almost as if we are bilingual, with a language we understand among ourselves, (almost with the makings of a dialect,) which can prove confusing for others, along with speaking straightforward English. (It really is dying out though and I suspect, some of our unique Aussie character with it.)
Almost like my Scottish and Irish forebears, who spoke who spoke good English but would lapse into a local dialect among family and friends. I can still remember an occasion when I was very young and I'd broken some ornament in my old Scottish grandmother's dining room. I thought I was in for a tongue lashing or worse, but she merely said 'Och laddie, dinnae fash yoursel" which loosley meant "that's all right son, no need to be upset over it."
diggerop

I had a visitor from Scotland by last Saturday, I think he must have laid the dialect on thick just for my confusion and his amusement, when it came down to business, I noticed most of the incomprehensible bits dissappeared and we communicated just fine. I will say that I enjoyed listening even if I couldn't make out a lot of the references.
basilisk
basilisk wrote:

My widowed grandmother brought her four kids to the US from Edinburgh during the depression. She worked in Chicago as a nurse and worked hard to lose all trace of her "burr". After a few years she returned to visit her sister in Ayr for two weeks, during which time she re-acquired her accent fully and maintained it carefully for the next sixty-some years. :)
I have to laugh /with/ her. I was born in Georgia, and when I moved to northern Indiana and started school, the kids made fun of how I "tawk'd" and, according to my mother, it took less than week for me to lose all trace of my drawl.
Fast forward to late fifties - I returned to to the Atlanta area to spend a school Christmas vacation with the folks who'd been next door neighbors when I'd been an ankle-biter. They'd set up blind dates for every evening leading up to a big New Year's dance - for which I was expected to ask one of the young ladies to accompany me (I felt like I'd fallen into a time warp). First date told me I tawkt lahk a damnyankee (lip curled). Second date remarked that I had a trace of yankee accent and asked where I'd picked /that/ up (with an overtone suggesting that perhaps penicillin might help). By the third evening I'd worked the bugs out and everything went smoothly thereafter (I did invite a gorgeous young belle to the dance and had a great time). Just before I returned to school, my "improvement" was recognized with a certificate making me an honorary colonel in the Confederate underground. :)
But for the life of me, I can't speak with a Scottish burr. :-]
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

So, ye wuid nae say a braw bricht moonlicht nicht, the nicht then?
Kids are amazingly adaptable. We had my father with his trace of Irish accent, and daily use of the Irish way of expression, my Grandmother with her soft Scottish burr, and my mother with her everyday Ausie accent. We had no idea at all that each of them spoke in a different manner. We could understand them, therefore there was no difference to us as kids.
One thing that did click with me in later years was the realisation that I unconciously adopted each of their accents when speaking to them. So that a scottish burr comes naturally to me. Or irish expression.
It happened that the burr stood me in very good stead in learning Bahasa Indonesia. They roll their r's just as the Scots do, something that doesn't come easily to Aussies.
diggerop
diggerop wrote:

Aye, I canna. Interestingly, I can /hear/ the words as I read them - but my tongue and palate conspire to prevent proper rendition.

I wonderful bit of learning, that! I hear them as musical, to be heard and enjoyed, but beyond my ability to reproduce. Probably because of my grandmother, I warm to the Scottish burr - and I understand why the Irish write poetry and seem to enjoy hearing themselves speak. :-))

Nor, I think to most Americans. A clerk in a Paris bookstore tried for some 15 minutes to coach a rolled 'R' from me so that I could say "Louvrrrre" properly, then (apparently in total frustration) switched to English and asked that I do the same.
I do a pretty good pirate "Arr!", though. :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Yeah, a well-spoken Scottish brogue is great to listen to, if for nothing more than listening to someone who cares about what they're saying and how they say it.
-- You know, in about 40 years, we'll have literally thousands of OLD LADIES running around with TATTOOS, and Rap Music will be the Golden Oldies. Now that's SCARY! --Maxine
On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 08:37:50 +0800, the infamous "diggerop"

So you were taught English and slouched into Aussie, right? Got it. Over here we have Ebonics, Cajun, Chicano, Yooper, Suthun, Hindish (Hindu English with a strong British accent) and half a dozen more mixes of those.
For the others, who have trouble translating you (or wondering what you Bunyips are) here's a nice Aussie Dictionary site: http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html
---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary ===================================================

Mate. I have to tell yer, The lapse was in using the Pommy version of English instead of Strine.
diggerop
On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 01:37:01 +0800, the infamous "diggerop"

But of course, _you'd_ think of it that way.
-- You know, in about 40 years, we'll have literally thousands of OLD LADIES running around with TATTOOS, and Rap Music will be the Golden Oldies. Now that's SCARY! --Maxine
On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 03:03:56 +0800, the infamous "diggerop"

'Ave a go, Dop. I understood most of that prior to your translations.
diggerop wrote,on my timestamp of 12/11/2009 6:03 AM:

LOL! Hey dig: if you get a chance, go watch "Charlie and Boots" at the movies. With Paul Hogan. Worth your while mate, I promise! Cracked me up. Stay all the way: there is an insider's joke in the credits about the Sydney coathanger.

Thanks Noons, saw it a few weeks ago when the missus dragged me along. (No self respecting Aussie bloke will admit to actually *wanting* to go to the movies.) Thoroughly enjoyed it. Hoges' line about how long it takes to paint the the coathanger was hilarious.
diggerop