Ping Larry Jaques

Page 1 of 5

You can tell him yourself. : )
I rang him and he said he would drop in to the wreck and say g'day
diggerop

Gudday boys Yup still alive and kicking . .. Been a long while since I looked in here, aint it all different . ..? Thanks to a phone call last night from a nice bloke telling me that Larry had asked after me . . I thought I would say hi. Also had an email from Mario ( in Buffalo) a while ago ( which I havent replied to properly yet - sorry mate will get to it)
Very busy - 12 month waiting list ( mainly thanks to that crappy website wot I built with my own fair hands ) Busy moving into our new Workshop Gallery what I also built with my own fair hands Which by the way are now bereft of the end of my favourite left index finger wot I ran through the 10 inch buzzer a couple of months ago . . .
Any way just a quick hullo as i am just off to move more stuff out of the old shop into the new one.
Phully
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 17:17:09 -0800 (PST), the infamous phil

G'day, Phullymate.

It's damed good to hear from you, Phil.

Switch to JPGs or PNGs so you get the colors and clarity, dude!

Cool. Got JPGs? <g>

All I did with mine was break it, well, the right index distal phalanx, anyway. Sorry to hear about your loss, Stubby.

Thanks for stopping by.
---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary ===================================================

Lassa you old ratbag . . still pushing peoples buttons and winding em up I see . .. . . . Thats why I never stopped loving you .. big man love mate . .so dont get scared . .
Dont be deceived Lassa. . .diggerop sounds like a great bloke .. you can use that against him if you like.
How is things with you Larry? I heard from Jummy some years ago . . he was running a small construction business in Las Vegas at the time .. . I kept watching the TV show but he never appeared . . .
Must go now . . need to find our what a jpg is. . . .!!
Phully
In article

Buggerit, mate, haven't you heard of the SawStop down there? Or maybe it doesn't work upside down?
Welcome home, Phully!
On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 08:20:33 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone

Yeah, in Oz, it jumps up and take the entire hand off. Very Highly Not Recommended.
---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary ===================================================

That's it in a nutshell.
I don't suppose American wreckers would realise that one of the reasons US woodworking gear is so expensive over here is that it all has to be converted. Otherwise, everything works up side down and backwards. This involves taking it all apart and re-assembling the right way up. Costs time and money. Oh, and don't forget about making the sawblade or planer head run the other way otherwise, when you go to break down a 6x4 on the TS, it turns back into a log. A planer running the wrong way will add thickness rather than taking it off.
Chinese stuff is not so bad, we just have to rotate it 90 degrees.
Fair dinkum mate. I wouldn't pull your leg over something as serious as that.
diggerop
diggerop said:

You're freakin' nuts. I like that.
Greg G.
On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 01:17:27 +0800, the infamous "diggerop"

Roit.
---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary ===================================================

It is good to see some old timers on here!
I did find your web site a few months back, and I have it bookmarked to keep tabs on you.
My wife made me get a Sawstop in the spring, are they common down there?
David.
On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 04:01:55 -0800 (PST), the infamous phil

You betcha!

Oh, OK.

I likely will.

I'm still doing web design, but my day job is now the Home and Garden Handyman. I help widder wimmenz whip their woodworking woes, so to speak.
On September 5th, I broke that right index fingertip. (nasty rabid flagstone bit) On October 7th, I took off the splint. On October 9th, I slipped and sprained my left wrist. So, as the Orientals say, it's been an interesting time, this end-of-summer of mine.
I'm still trying to clear enough room in the shop to bash up some of that nice jarrah you sent to me. All I've managed to build out of it so far is a weather rock stand for my dad, before he died. It was a smaller version of this style:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/153/420972328_f148789bae.jpg
I have a design for a mission style couch in my head, and some of the jarrah is slated for that. Maybe by THIS Christmas...
Did you ever find replacement gnomes for your shop, or are you still raking in all that dough by yourself?
Also, I need pics of your Southern Mansion, what you were building when we last talked.

A JPG (or PNG) is to a GIF what a glossy full-color maggy cover is to a b/w newspaper piccy.
The GIF picture format limits you to 256 colors, 8 bit color. The JPG format gives you 16.7 million, 32 bit color.
This article was written by Aussie nerds. Maybe you'll grok it. http://articles.sitepoint.com/article/gif-jpg-png-whats-difference #
Anywho, you can adjust the JPG compression to find the best balance between clarity and file size.
xox
---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary ===================================================
Aw Lassa . . I knew what a jaypeg was . . .I just dont know how to make it pretty on my web site given that I did the thing in Publisher .. but now that you have wound me up I will have a go at changing the images . . somehow .. ! But thanks for the info. Remember I arent very clever like you.
Home and Garden Handy man . .. ? helping ladies . .. ? strewth mate . .. !
Bad bad news about your finger/wrist buggerising up . .
Still havent used that stuff I sent you ?.. crickey! it must have doubled in size by now ..
Will get some pics for you of the tin palace . . and the new Workshop etc . . .
Phully
scrawled the following:

And what the ?x? - where is Tiff/Tif quality format.
The web started with Tiff and gif and a few more on unix. Tiff holds all of the data - more than the crappy views on some sites.
Problem with new formats - who has an editor - a graphics program for them - oh Microsoft only...
Martin
philip wrote:

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 19:47:25 -0600, the infamous "Martin H. Eastburn"

Huh? That's news to me, Martin. It's always been GIF and JPG. TIF wasn't an available format on the Net until, hmmm, when? I didn't get the browser addon until 2006. Alternatiff didn't release until 2003.
TIFF was used exclusively by the graphics gurus because it was a very high-resolution, large-format design. That's absolutely contrary to the Net.
'Course, I'm a newbie, not having started designing websites until 1995 or so. Back then, GIF was pretty much the only game in town.
Got cites for widespread use of TIF on the Net in the last century? (I'm from Missouri, maam. Show me!)
--
The clear and present danger of top-posting explored at:
The first formats were GIF, Xbm and Xpm.

Interesting. Xbm and Xpm? Nevahoiduvit. I didn't see Martin's TIF in there, and that was just before I started up.
-- You know, in about 40 years, we'll have literally thousands of OLD LADIES running around with TATTOOS, and Rap Music will be the Golden Oldies. Now that's SCARY! --Maxine
Larry -
I was doing web designs on Sun 3 and Sun 4 boxes a long long time ago. Internally before the WorldWideWeb was shortened to WWW and other names.
Mosaic was the first 'Netscape' long before the other browsers and companies.
Tiff was one of the primary formats a number of others - now mostly obscure.
The web for me started in 1987 when I downloaded (via our FTP server) from CERN the install files for Mosaic. Two of us were tasked to get a division up and going. I did practical pages and collected graphics.
I still have and use TIFF / TIF format - my camera generates TIF and JPG at the same time. And Jpg only.
Martin
Larry Jaques wrote:

TIFF was invented in the '80s by Aldus as a format for "desktop publishing", aimed at scanner vendors as a standard format. The first version of the TIFF spec was published in a1986, and was binary only. In 1988 rev 5 added support of palette colors and LZW compression
As the market for that was primarily the Macintosh in those days, I find it unlikely that TIFF was being used in any serious way in the early days of the web, and it certainly was not used for what we were doing on the web in 1994 and forward. I'd welcome any citations you can provide that demonstrate TIFF being widely used as a display format in web browsers, well, ever.
See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagged_Image_File_Format> for details on the TIFF specification.
Widely ? - likely not. Not many were doing web design when I was starting. One had to be on the inside of very high tech science to have access to the early version of browser. We were writing how to files as there were not any paperbacks or documents to be found.
Our internal network was in swing while the outside was in Bulletin boards.
Martin
Dave Balderstone wrote:

I don't know of any use of TIFF as a standard web graphic format.
Please cite.