Ping - Chairman

Page 1 of 2
Have any use for any of these tools? ... in your area. No one has bid on the Jet jointer, yet. Sale ends tomorrow.
http://www.irsauctions.com/index_lots.asp?pg ήtails&id 455
I've been watching the 16" jointer in Pflugerville. I'm wondering if their (J Kraft, Inc) facility in Houston (or elsewhere) will be next, to be sold off.
Seems, some people (as per J Kraft's Facebook page) are not happy with some of their products and/or services. It doesn't say where these unhappy people are located, though.
Note: For some tools, an insurance policy is/may be required for removal of non-hand carriable items.
Sonny
Add pictures here
βœ–

Thanks I'd like the boring machine, but I'm trying/starting to get away from custom stuff. I can make more just reupolstering in most cases with alot less headaches : ) But......it is tools.....hmmmm
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 07/18/2016 8:56 AM, Sonny wrote:

I'd like the cyclone dust/chip collector...

Where the heck is that??? Houston area, I gather, maybe? If so, that's a _long_ drive... :(

βœ–
On Monday, July 18, 2016 at 1:02:02 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

At the top of the previous linked page there is a "Today's Auctions" tab. But the main page is here: http://www.irsauctions.com/
The Pflugerville listing is on page 2. http://www.irsauctions.com/index_lots.asp?pg ήtails&id 469
Check any sales in your area. Window shopping doesn't cost a thing.
Sonny
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 07/18/2016 2:08 PM, Sonny wrote:

Wrong subject of "where is it?" ... :) chairman says it's more in Austin area...I'd found the auction to have seen the collector... :)

You _must_ be kidding about "in area"...there ain't _nuthin'_ nor nobody out here. :)
Well, just for grins I did look at all the "today's" events -- at 565 mi, it's closest by several hundred...that's pretty typical to the point I rarely (as in never) bother to look.

βœ–
On Monday, July 18, 2016 at 2:09:02 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote: listing is on page 2.

That 16" Newman jointer went for $650.
I didn't bid on it, after all. Too many questions unanswered. There's a tab for asking questions and I sent questions and got no replies. I called to inquire, spoke to a few people about my concerns. Received no calls back, as follow-up.
I suspect there may be something wrong with the jointer, since the bidding was low (IMO).... possibly table tops warped, something wrong with the motor (the plug is off)?.... just don't know and I didn't have a good feeling about it.
If it is in good working order, someone got a good deal.
Sonny
Add pictures here
βœ–

It's almost certainly a 3-phase motor, which will limit the potential buyer pool.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Friday, July 29, 2016 at 1:02:36 PM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote: about it.

Yep. Below is the lot's description. The pics include the motor spec pl ate. I wasn't too impressed with the pics, either... too few, for one thi ng.
3 Phase, 5HP, 3500 RPM 6" Fence Tilting Table S/N 40357
Re above: Tilting table? Exactly what is that? Which table and tilt wh ich way? Also, that serial # is the motor serial number. I had asked - w hat's the machine's serial number.
Though I'm not knowledgeable of phase converters, or electric motors in gen eral, a week ago I had inquired of converters, at our local industrial moto r shop. Cost a few hundred, so that's not bad. *I was planning ahead, i n case I had bought that jointer. I would have invested in a converter.
Sonny
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 07/29/2016 1:43 PM, Sonny wrote: ...

I discounted the "tilting" as uneducated and likely, if anything, referring to the fence. The "tables" certainly do _not_ tilt, the more likely is got a note from an old tablesaw or somesuch mixed up with these would be my guess.
As for machine S/N, on something that old unless you're into collecting for collecting's sake, what difference can it make? It's a 40's-vintage machine at the latest.
That seems pretty low-ball for the phase converter and not a rotary and sized only for the jointer itself? While more than what could've got by with, I bought the Phoenix rotary system for 10hp for the barn here so have better-quality power for the heavier loading of the planer and the room to add the DC and a later acquisition or two as well...It was neighborhood of $800...

βœ–
On Friday, July 29, 2016 at 4:05:23 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

-

Actually, with selected older table saw, the arbor was fixed and the table was tilted/moved for adjustment. My dad had one of those saws. A friend wit h whom I worked, cut a kerf in his knuckle when the height adjustment kn ob loosened and he and his work fell prey to Mother Nature, proving the ada ge that "gravity is a harsh mistress", on a completely different table saw. Not sure how prevalent these saws were, but I know first hand that they ex ist...
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 07/29/2016 4:11 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: ...

That's what I said...the item under discussion was/is a JOINTER, however, which is why I said they screwed up or didn't know what were talking about...

βœ–

While this is true, I believe that the machine in question is a jointer, not a TS. Read again his reference to the TS note possibly being mixed up.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Friday, July 29, 2016 at 6:40:48 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

d -

ted

ge

by

ble was tilted/moved for adjustment. My dad had one of those saws. A friend with whom I worked, cut a kerf in his knuckle when the height adjustmen t knob loosened and he and his work fell prey to Mother Nature, proving the adage that "gravity is a harsh mistress", on a completely different table saw. Not sure how prevalent these saws were, but I know first hand that the y exist...

up.
my apologies...I saw the TS reference and drew an incorrect conclusion...
Add pictures here
βœ–

No one here ever makes mistakes. :-)
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 08:03:22 -0500, Leon wrote:

Actually, I have, and use, one of those. A 1948 Delta. Cranking that table up and down builds muscle! I seldom tilt it as I have a SCMS but I have done. I also have a jig for 45 degree rips though I haven't done one in a couple of years.
In its favor, its built like a tank and, with new bearings, the blade runout is zero. Has an old motor that weighs a ton - I was told by a motor rebuilder that while it's only 3/4 HP, it has way more torque than a modern motor.
It'll outlast me :-).
--
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 07/29/2016 3:05 PM, dpb wrote: ...

Was intending to add that even at that the higher price (just as with the 180, when you factor in the value of what you've got, it's still a bargain...
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 07/29/2016 12:50 PM, Sonny wrote:

I'd wager odds are it's just fine with just some TLC; as another says, individuals generally won't consider it for two reasons, the first being they don't have 3-phase power and the second being it's simply so large and heavy they have no way to move it or place to put it if did--hence the potential buying pool is quite small. On top of the three-phase, this is a direct-drive setup so it'd take a fair effort to retrofit a single-phase motor to it.
There's a listing at OWWM that says it weighs 2200# net. The Powermatic 180 planer here is 1600# and that's hard-enough to move; the 3-pt on the little JD955 (30hp) utility tractor can't pick it up so had to schlep it on a pallet mover and then work it off by hand to get it moved in the barn from it's original landing point. I _did_ get it wired in and it's to the point of ran a test piece through; needs a few more final tweaks to get pressure bar tuned and bed rollers leveled and all to do fine work, but it's getting there!!! Next is the DC system; it's too large for the little guy I've been using; have to get the main one back in operation that never did after the move back to the farm to hook it back up...
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 7/18/2016 1:01 PM, dpb wrote:

Austin, Round Rock area, closer to Austin.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Closer to Round Rock, actually. Pflugerville is just south of the new (ish) 45 expressway, Round Rock is just north.
Right close to where my sister lives...if only I had more room for tools and could trust my brother-in-laws judgement on their condition and value :-)
John
Add pictures here
βœ–
We used to live in Round Rock and enjoyed the time we were there. We have friends up and down IH35 while I worked in the Austin area. Back in the 80's before the explosion.
Martin
On 7/18/2016 3:28 PM, John McCoy wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–