Ping Bill, in Indiana; Anyone near Waverly, Ohio?

Page 1 of 3
Bill, About a year ago, you asked us to evaluate a Craigslist or estate auction tablesaw. Did you ever find a table saw? If you are near enough to Waverly, Ohio, there may be a saw, here, within your price range:
http://irsauctions.com/index.asp?pg &ind=&view=&today A side note (rant): This factory is obviously huge. It sure must have been quite a blow to the workers/community for it to shut down.... I suspect they are/have shut down. I have purchased a few items (woodworking tools, industrial upholstery sewing machine, hardware items) from this auction site. When I went to pick up my items, I spoke with the personnel at the facilities. The companies were not retooling, they were being bought out by Chinese based franchises.
Though I am retired, I am a certified upholsterer and many customers want the best built furniture. They are willing to pay for it, also. Most relatively new furniture, I've reupholstered, is foreign made and is really poor quality (frame material, foam, construction). For any of you looking to buy furniture, look into finding an old American made piece and have it reupholstered, rather than settling for this newer crap from overseas. Even the foam, in these overseas products, is inferior. I've replace lots of inferior foam from some of these, so called, "high end" recently purchased (overseas made) furniture pieces.
I really dislike seeing our American furniture companies (or any American company) disappear, this way.
Sorry for the rant, but some things just rub me the wrong way, sometimes.
Bill, despite someone's possible/probable job loss (relative to the link), I hope you can find a saw for yourself, if you haven't found one, already.
Sonny
Sonny wrote:

Hi, Thank you Very Much for the heads-up! I AM still keeping my eyes open for a TS and it is very kind of you to remember my interest in one. I might have bought one by by now if I was caught-up with my shop renovations.
Like you, I too am saddened when I hear about factories closing as in this case. The people, the community, ... :(
In visiting the site you sent, I started getting exciting over the Delta Unisaws...then I noticed that they all appear to use 3-phase power (which in retrospect makes sense...). All things considered, I think that stops my further consideration of them. Still, thanks again for your thoughtfulness! I will keep your suggestions regarding upholstering in mind too as I have a "favorite couch" : )
Bill

Lot 8072 is single phase:
http://irsauctions.com/popups/bidders_paddle.asp?lot 4689&auction=AOFXXB5101BSAXQHBMJQW035T4GBR6&id688
They haven't finished listing all the items to be sold. Lots 11000 - 11134 have yet to be listed. Might be another saw among these listings, also.
I didn't think to check all the motor specs. On my previous link, at the bottom of any page of listings, there is a "past featured auctions" link. Masco had a previous sale not long ago. You can check that past auction to see what other table saws sold for. When I clicked onto it, a moment ago, it was being updated.
Sonny

You can call Delta, give them the serial number and they can tell you how old that saw is.
Sonny
Sonny wrote:

Thanks for the tips. I tried dating one of the table saws yesterday using online resources, and failed.
The saw in your previous post looks great. I'll be watching! :) It's just 211 miles away.
Bill
"Bill" wrote

I consider myself be to fairly sophisticated. But even I have never dated a table saw. I have fondled a few, but never a formal date.
(Just goes to show what kind of trouble I get into all the time by being some damn literal.)
Lee Michaels wrote:

I've known plenty of woman that ran like SawStops... ; )

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 13:12:20 -0400, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

Just turn it on and stick it in, Mr. Liberal. It'll show you a good time. No formal date is necessary for it to ravish you.
-- Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony. -- Mahatma Gandhi
On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 22:36:45 -0700, Larry Jaques

Oh, "liTeral". Never mind.
-- Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony. -- Mahatma Gandhi
Sonny wrote:

I think that black tube that runs behind the saw is part of overhead dust collection (do you think that is correct?). What would the "control panel" that is attached to it be for?
BTW, the price went to $400 since yesterday (without any help from me), and thee is still about 9 days to go... Spent several hours trying to learn more about the saw--the saw part is 456 pounds (lol) ; )
Bill

That black pipe is the over arm blade guard support (see the listed amenities) and they are often, at least part of, the dust collection feature, as you surmised. Many saws have that kind of blade guard attachment, rather than the blade guard attached to the table top, behind the blade.
I don't see a control panel on the arm guard. I see a tool rest/cage- type thing. Other than that, I see a valve, for adjusting the dust collection. The dust ducts, for overhead collection, have, apparently, been detached from the saw.
Expect the price to reach $600. I doubt you will find a good used Unisaw, anywhere, for less than that. It's a good idea to add the 10% auctioneers fee and your travel costs, in determining the max amount you are willing to invest in the whole affair. If the bidding reaches $800, I would hesitate to bid further.... might as well buy a new saw for $1200 - $1400 (?). A new saw comes with a warranty and possibly a discounted (additional $, but w/ rebate) mobile base. *Ask if there's supposed to be a mobile base for that saw! ...Never can tell, maybe there's one hanging around (Not listed on the manifest, but originally party to the saw) waiting to be remarried.
Call or email the IRS site's contact person and they can give you the Waverly contact person, to get specific info about the item. Should you bid and win, make copies of the posted pics, of the saw, before going pick it up. You want to make sure everything pictured remains intact. If you bid and win, bring tools to disassemble the saw from the extension table and a dolly, just in case you have to load yourself. It'll be hard to load the whole, as is. If you bid and win, ask if they have the paperwork/invoice/instruction/users manual for the saw (in the administrative office, somewhere). Try to get those items, also, if available, while the getting is good. If the saw is not too old, there may be some warrranty remaining.
That IRS link has many other sales. Every now and then a pretty good deal, or 2, comes along. You just have to be patient. If not this sale, I hope you can eventually find a good saw and nearer to you.
Sonny
Sonny wrote:

Thank you, there is a lot of good information in your post! You answered some of the questions I had, and then some!
I assume a dolly and a rental truck w/a lift gate is the right mechanism to move and transport a saw like this. Never having used a lift gate before, I wasn't sure how big of a support area a lift gate had. Hopefully the transportation costs won't be truly excessive--I'll investigate that next.
Thank you for giving your perspective on price estimates too. Your estimate of a new saw at about $1400 was not far off since I was considering the Grizzly G691.
I finished putting my DP together last night (the time consuming part of that was "over-building" a baseboard with wheels and legs and taking it as an opportunity to practice with my router). I found a good deal on a 14" Delta band saw on clearance a number of months ago. I'll start assembling that today. With these big boxes off of the ground it will be a lot easier to move a TS in. Your timing in making the Wreck readers aware of this auction worked out perfect for me! I need to go check to see if anyone else has bid on the saw since yesterday...
Bill
Thanks again. There is a lot of very good information in your post!
Bill
Sonny wrote:

Sonny wrote:

Auction ends in 90 minutes..the Unisaw has been on my mind.
Issue is transportation (220 miles each way): Costs:
About $300 to buy a trailer hitch w/installation $140 for a 5'by9' trailer with a ramp (U-Haul, 1-way rental) $150 to load (estimate was provided) $100+ for gas
which comes to $690 not including any costs to unload.
This is discouraging from placing the next bid for the saw-- $850 which is essentially $1000 including buyers fee and sales tax.
It may be better to wait for one a little closer to home, or even buy something new--but I learned A GREAT DEAL mulling over this!!! Thank you folks! You still have time to talk me out of/into it! LOL :)
Bill
Bill wrote:

do you know anyone with a pickup truck that would help you out? you can rent a box truck for <50 from uhaul for the day.
chaniarts wrote:

My neighbor, who has a pickup, would be willing to drive me across town, but I wouldn't ask him to spend a whole day driving out of state with me. Not only that, using a pick up may require taking apart the saw (which Swingman, smartly I think, discouraged).
For those that are interested: Final auction price on the 1999 Unisaw (36-816), with unifence and overhead guard and fold-down outfeed table, located in Mid-Ohio, was $1135 + 10% = $1249, plus sales tax of course.
Bill
Bill wrote:

the pickup may already have a hitch, saving you the $300, although if you installed it on your vehicle, then your wife could buy that piano that she's been wanting.

chaniarts wrote:

Yes, it does. But I am not willing to drive another man's truck 500 miles. None of the car rental companies are willing to rent a vehicle I could use for towing. This Unisaw was going to cost north of $2000 after expenses, plus time and effort, and with possible risk during transport, and no warranty. For $2750 Amazon will deliver a new one to your door. At least, that was the deal until about 3 weeks ago. Current 3rd party seller wants $3299.
I really did learn alot through this process that will ready me the next time around. It was actually "over-stimulating". Like I said, next time I will be ALOT more prepared.
Thanks, Bill
although if you

Yikes! They've gone up! I paid $1600 for my 36-L31X-BC50 two years ago, from Amazon. I'm looking for a bandsaw now, but I'm not in a hurry.

On 6/29/2011 1:46 PM, Bill wrote:

Bill I rented a 16' lift gate truck a few months ago and it cost me about $450 for 4 days.