Picture- Bookcases Installed

Here they are... what I was asking all the HVLP spraying questions about.

Phone pics, so not great detail. And silly me, I forgot to get a picture of the left side panel of bookcase.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Looks great! No come to my house and so it again, on both sides of my office window and over the window. Oh and I want that rolling ladder too for the 42" above the window. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Looks great.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I like it. Looks like it is about full. Time to start another one.

Reply to
G.W.Ross

Beautiful job, Mike ... AAMOF, as good as it gets, Bubba.

With work like that, you can do my built-ins anytime!!

Reply to
Swingman

Vurry noice

Perhaps consider continuing the baseboard that is along the wall around the front and side of the unit. This is the typical approach for built-ins to make them look more integrated.

You can see I did it here (kinda hard to see how it ties in.)

I didn't use a toe kick and I think it would look better had I done so as you did.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

First of all, excellent style and execution on yours!

Secondly, continuing the baseboard was in the plans-- already painted and cut. But when I placed a piece down, against the base of the cases, I liked the looks better without it.

So without influencing their opinion, I asked the clients which they liked better and they like just shoe, too. After they made their decision, we discussed how things like crown and baseboard were traditionally extended, as you explained, but I was never one to stick with tradition for tradition's sake. We all agreed we liked the crown, but not the baseboard. Of course, I would've gone with their choice, either way.

If I were to think about it another couple minutes, I might've done a rectangular shoe around the case base.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Thanks.... I always wanted to build one of those ladders. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

tanks a rot. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

'preciate it. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Just like a workshop, huh?

Reply to
-MIKE-

Thanks-- always carries weight coming from you. Next time, I'll probably upgrade to the Earlex.

Reply to
-MIKE-

The customer is always right and I am sure they are super happy with your f ine work.

Thx for the compliment. I did punt on the shelves. Right now they are just cut from particle board covered with like shrink wrapped laminate of a whit ewashed looking oak pattern. They had the stock at home depot or lowes in 8 ft and my shop was in transition so it was a quick solution. I'll make real shelves at some point. The eliptical arch matches the arch I built into an opening through the wall to my kitchen and also added it to the fireplace surround in the same room.

Hmmm is there any other way I can hijack this thread to talk more about me?

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

in.)

I didn't use a toe kick and I think it would look better had I done so as you did.

Well done, as usual.

Especially like the arch bumpout and the cabinet backs ... classy.

Reply to
Swingman

If they aren't sagging, use them, they're already cut. A couple coats of B-I-N and the same white you used on the best and they'll be perfect.

Yeah, reeeeally! :-p

Reply to
-MIKE-

Yes, I love that beaded look. Now I know what to use on the backs of the next ones I do. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

nice work, Mike. The designs look nice and clean as well as the finishing. Your design?

What did you use to finish the arched cabinet?

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Ummm... I'm confused. The pictures of the arched bookcase were from Sonoma dude, when he hijacked my thread. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Yes, my design. I did lots of web surfing to find design elements I wanted. It was my first major effort in Sketchup. I detailed out every piece so I could build them modular in the shop and be sure it would all piece togethe r in the house. I had my buddy cut the arch piece on his CNC.

On the finish, I used BIN primer and sanded it out and did all the caulking . Then I had a pro paint it because with my tests spraying laytex with my c heap HVLP were not up to the standards I wanted.

One key for me was I used the ply with MDF faces for all the boxes and mdf for the door flat panels and it really provides a nice super flat substrate for the painting.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

BIN and MDF is a match made in heaven. A couple sanded coats of BIN on MDF edges can be buffed very smooth.

Reply to
-MIKE-