PC 690 Combo-base router

I've got that set that came with a plunge and fixed base, and man is it a pain to switch back and forth between them. As such, I just bought another 690 router body (6902) for $69 on Amazon. I haven't even used it yet and it's worth it already.
JP
I think you meant to say, you bought an additional router motor and not the body.
Now you have two routers.
Jay Pique wrote:

Yep - I've got a dedicated motor for each of the plunge base and fixed base. I also just picked up an HNT Gordon rabbet plane off of eBay. It was actually a deal at 1/2 the price of new, and it's new. Not a nick or a ding, and the previous owner knew how to sharpen and lap the blade. Looks unused. I really like it. It's my first wooden plane and my first to adjust using a hammer. It's really quite easy to adjust. Pefect shavings right out of the box after I set the blade.
JP
On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 17:12:34 -0700 (PDT), Jay Pique

It can be a PITA to get the motor out of the plunge base. What I have learned is that if I leave the base about 1/8" shy of fully seating in the plunge base, then after the lock screw is loosened (a lot), a quick tap on the router motor will slide it down in the base and release the locking clamp. Give the locking screw a qiuck tap to make sure the clamp swings free and the base will easily slide off the router.
I added a D-handled base to the set, and leave the standard base attached to my router table. I also cut the cord on the router to about 18" and put a new plug on it so that it isn't in the way when the router is in the D-handle base. An in-line socket can be added on the cut off router cord to make it in to an extension cord.
Ed
Jay Pique wrote:

I won't argue that additional routers are handy, but you found switching to be a pain? <G>
All of my router motors are in a drawer, the bases are on a shelf. I must be a glutton for punishment.
Well, pulling the motor out of that plunge base for the 690 is definitely a pain. You had to have been there.
Tom Dacon

Tom Dacon wrote:

I spray my motors with Top Cote.
I have (4) 690's. <G>
Tom Dacon wrote:

I have the 694 set also and I have to agree. The allen screw that locks in the motor is a pain.