PC 690

Page 1 of 2

I can get one of these from Amazon for $130.00, wonder if anyone has comments pro or con. Primary use is dado and use with Leigh dovetail jig. I already own a Bosch 1617 and a PC7518 in my router table. Thanx. Tom

Excellent router. Not the beefiest model they sell, nor is there any dust collection built in, but bases are universal and it fits the Leigh jig w/o any extra templates. I know they changed the collar lock from a metal twist key type to a buckle-clasp, that looked plastic to me when I saw it in the store. I bought a fixed base model like you're contemplating 3 or 4 years ago. If I were to do it over, I'd spend an extra $50-$60 and get the combo unit with the plunge base as well.
Cheers! Dukester
I own two. Solid units, no problems over 7 years for the first one. Bought the first one with the plunge base and fixed base, and to me it's worthwhile to have the plunge capability. I got the second one as a freebie when I bought Delta's 15" planer when they had a promotion. I have the Leigh D4 and it works well with the jig. If I have the opportunity to pick one up used I'd consider getting a third, as I tend to leave roundover bits in one with the smaller collet, and use the other for 1/2 inch shanks. I would not recommend them for router table, but you have that covered.
Mutt
I use mine in a router table all the time. Works fine. No pane raiser but if I was going to do that, I'd buy a shaper.

I am somewhat confused about the PC 690. For sometime I have thought that I would buy one but a while back I read several remarks on this site that this was not as good a router as I had thought and had told my sons. So what's the real low down?
Walt Conner

The basic router itself is a good router. Its just that most every one offers a better choice these days. Its yesterdays technology so to speak. If you like it and it suits your needs, get it. IIRC the plunge base is the draw back.
<<IIRC the plunge base is the draw back. >>
Nothing wrong with the plunge base on my 690.
Lee

_________________________________
Lee Gordon wrote:

I've been using a 690 in the plunge base a lot the last few days. my big complaint is that the stop rod has no fine adjustment. I can envision how to build one in, but it seems awkward. anybody made such a modification?
That's what the screws in the turret are for. Not real convenient but they do the job.

A DAGS will reveal the complaints that some have made a few years back.
Even the instructions that come with the Router Raizer that Rockler sells (do we have a tongue twister there?) warns that it will not do anything for the slop in the 690 plunge base. I have one. I do use it from time to time but I don't expect a lot of accuracy from it. The springs are heavy and it has considerable side play.

<<I am somewhat confused about the PC 690. For sometime I have thought that I would buy one but a while back I read several remarks on this site that this was not as good a router as I had thought and had told my sons. So what's the real low down?>>
I don't think it was the 690 that people were complaining about. It was a different (newer) PC model that was disappointing. Unfortunately, I don't recall which model that was.
Lee

_________________________________
890. Big recall.

CW wrote:

What was the recall? I never got any notice on mine
Bad insulation. Windings coming apart and making the case live. Go to the PC site. They have a list of serial numbers.

My 890 was on the recall list and the replacement router is made in Mexico. The first one was U.S. made. I guess PC does not make anything in the U.S. anymore.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE January 24, 2006 Release #06-072 Firms Recall Hotline: (800) 949-6348 CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772 CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908
CPSC, Porter-Cable Announce Recall to Repair Routers WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.
Name of Product: Porter-Cable 890 Series Routers
Units: About 70,000
Manufacturer: Porter-Cable, of Jackson, Tenn.
Hazard: The motor coil insulation can be worn away by vibration from the motor, which could pose a shock hazard.
Incidents/Injuries: No incidents or injuries have been reported.
Description: The recalled Porter-Cable routers are tools used in conjunction with various bits to cut and shape wood. The model and serial numbers are printed on the nameplate on the top of the router. Routers marked with a T above PORTER+CABLE on the nameplate are not included in this recall.
Model Number Porter-Cable Product Name Serial Number 891 2 Peak HP Gripvac Router 10001 through 24647 892 2 Peak HP Router Kit 10001 through 68442 893PK 2 Peak HP Multibase Router Kit 10001 through 68442 894PK 2 Peak HP Multibase Router Kit with Gripvac Attachment 10001 through 24647 895PK 2 Peak MP Multibase Router Kit with Router Table Height Adjuster 10001 through 68442 8902 2 Peak HP Variable-Speed Motor 10001 through 68442
Sold at: Major home improvement stores and hardware stores nationwide from September 2003 through December 2005 for between $180 and $269.
Manufactured in: United States
Remedy: Consumers should stop using the recalled routers immediately and contact Porter-Cable for a free inspection, and repair if necessary.
Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Porter-Cable toll-free at (800) 949-6348 between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. CT Monday through Friday, or visit the firms Web site at www.porter-cable.com
On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 12:04:30 -0500, "Lee Gordon"

The 7529 was one which caught a lot of flack. P-C even apologized for it and re-engineered it and then introduced it as the 8529.
Nothing wrong with the 690 as many have stated. Good, solid, dependable, no frills router. How much "technology" does one need in a router?
The 691 (D-handle model) is worth its weight in gold for some functions. I like it a lot on my Omnijig (dovetail jig).
The 693 is a decent lightweight (compared to 3+HP routers) plunger whose principle difficulty is the motor sticking in the base (not the plunge action) when the motor is used in other bases. If used as a dedicated 693, the problem goes away.
Note all three of these routers use the same motor (I believe the motor itself is labeled a 6902). The difference in the base determines the model number. The new 89x series does not follow this custom.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
<<The 7529 was one which caught a lot of flack. >>
That's the one I was thinking of. However, I see in the new issue of Woodshop News that arrived today that PC has recalled 70,000 model 890s.
Lee

Mine never sticks and niether will yours if you use my method. The factory procedure is sure to result in a stuck motor. When you put the motor in the plunge base, don't slide it all the way down against the casting. Leave it up about 1/8" then tighten the lock screw (snug is good enough). When you want to remove the motor, just loosen the screw and the router will slip that 1/8" further into the base, unlocking the wedge. PC's method of beating on the wrench is full of it.