Particle Board Painting

We found a dollhouse that had been tossed out in the trash and decided to fix it. Mostly it was gluing up bad joints and repairing some small wood pieces that had broken off from abuse.
The floor is hardboard which is holding up pretty well, but the walls are all 3/8" particle board. They had been covered with wallpaper, which SWMBO wanted removed and the board cleaned for painting. I"ve done most of that, but I have a concern about painting the boards. I have a feeling that it'll suck up as much paint as we can throw at it and still look pretty splotchy.
Has anyone ever successfully painted particle board? I was thinking of adding some sizing to it to fill it up, and had considered using a yellow glue/water mix. Does that make any sense? Or should I just slap paint at it til it looks ok?
TIA
Tanus
--
This is not really a sig.

Hi I would try a thin coat of drywall compound then paint.
len
Kilz You can get it at any local paint/hardware store etc in a spray can. I understand it even comes in color now, although I still use plain white. Spray or brush it on board and when dry Paint it as you like. Only down side I have found is the paint will scratch under hard use.

You could also try shellac as a primer. Tanus wrote:

Hi Tanus:
Use a coat (maybe two) of BIN-123 or Kilz shallac-based primer. It forms a nearly waterproof barrier and dries fast. Be sure you get the shellac kind, not latex.
Regards, John.
Tanus wrote:

Use a first coat of Zinnser BIN primer or something simlar (pigmented shellac)
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net wrote:

Thanks guys. I really liked the idea of drywall compound, but because it's already built, it'll be a bearcat to get the mud into the corners in such a small space. I'll try shellac since it seems to be the most popular solution.
Really appreciate the responses.
Tanus
Zinsser Seal Coat is a DEWAXED shellac that any finish can topcoat.