Panel Saw seen beating crap out of Table Saw

Page 1 of 4
Why doesn't everyone just get a panel saw for cutting large sheet goods? Seems like a much better option than even a sliding table saw.
JP

Reason #1) No dollars. Reason #2) No space.
scott
yup that's about the list
writes:

Scott Lurndal wrote:

And if I might add to the list, the dollars it would take to buy one would take away from the dollars to buy a stroke sander and the space it would take up would take space away from the space where'd I'd be keeping my stroke sander.
UA100, who'd much rather have a stroke sander any day...

Ooooh yeah - I've simply GOT to get one of those as well. Maybe I'd better add another thousand feet to my fictitious shop so I can properly house my imaginary panel saw and stroke sander.
JP ******************** What budget?

Yeah, but are you actually going to _make_ anything ?
Andy Dingley wrote:

Maybe not, but it's nice to know I *could*! <g>
-- Mark
Mark Jerde wrote:

That's been my theory all along. Who the hell can afford wood after buying all this stuff?
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 00:16:16 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

That's always my problem. Don't have jointer or planer at this time, so I try to work with s4s, which means I can't afford to make anything bigger than a breadbox. If I could afford the planer and jointer I could buy cheaper rough lumber, but after buying the tools I wouldn't have the dough to buy even rough-sawn. I could always go neander and buy rough and surface it with a hand plane, but with the amount of shop time I usually get that would mean I can only finish one project a decade instead of my current one every 5 years....
Life is hard.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Now, wait a minute. There are options aside from buying a planer and jointer that will allow you to build something bigger than a breadbox. Find yourself a decent lumber supplier, one who will surface the wood for ya. Try woodfinder.com. Or even the phone book.
I've bought wood locally and mail order and haven't had any trouble having the places doing the selling plane and joint the wood for but a small extra charge.
Renata
On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:05:45 -0700, Tim Douglass

and S3S into S4s for me for a small additional charge. Pretty sure most HW suppliers would do the same. Don't know your frame-of-reference, but's its still much cheaper that S4S from the BORG

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 00:29:54 +0100, Andy Dingley

Sawdust?
JP *************** Tooling up.

reason #2 kicked in.
On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 21:10:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

Yeah. I thought so too, but my shop is narrow and long, and cutting sheet goods horizontally was an exercise in contortionism. A few times I'd lay the panels down out in the back yard and hack them up with Pennstate's saw guide, but I got tired of shoveling snow out of a section of the outdoor 'annex', or cleaning mud of of everything. I saved up for a panel saw over a few years and don't ever regret buying it. When it stands against the wall it only takes up about a foot of floor space.
Tom Flyer
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

A, good ones are expensive
B, they take up space better used in other ways
C, Might be a good investment if all you ever cut is sheet goods but.....................
D, see C
--
MikeG
Heirloom Woods
MikeG wrote:

JGS writes:

Probably. But what do you do with the cabinet grade particle board like that I currently am using: it is 144" x 25".
Charlie Self "I think the most un-American thing you can say is, 'You can't say that.' " Garrison Keillor

It prolly is. Just how much moola you got to throw at this hobby?
On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 22:19:52 GMT, "patrick conroy"

Let's see...gross income less FICA plus illegal gambling gains less social security plus change stolen from neighbors couch divided by avacados number equals right around "zero". I am, however, a "paid professional", whatever that means.
JP ************* Learning.
|On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 22:19:52 GMT, "patrick conroy"

I'm confused. Do you mean "Avogadro's number" (6.02*10^23) or "avocado"?
Which brings up the question, can you make anything out of avocado (persea) other than guacamole? [g]