Painting MDF...

Hi all,

I have a utility cabinet I made from MDF and want to give it a smooth painted surface. The surface must be very durable and I was thinking along the lines of Marine enamel, or that Plastic paint. Also, what would be a good sandable primer to use as a base coat?

Any suggestions to primer / paint combinations appreciated.

It will be basic black, hopefully a satin finish.

Dave.

Reply to
Dave

MDF primer - everyone makes it, but using a normal primer will raise surface fibres.

-- Smert' spamionam

Reply to
Andy Dingley

My favorite MDF primer of late is good ol' BIN, which is some formulation of shellac.

I prefer this stuff because it dries very hard, fast. The hardness makes it really nice to sand on machined edges, so I find the edges get smooth faster than latex primers.

I usually brush a coat or two, thoroughly sand, and spray the additional coats. BIN is available in spray cans that work great for smaller jobs.

It should hold up fine under enamel, but as usual, test your combination on scrap!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Ok, what's BIN???

Reply to
Mike S.

A Zinsser product available at any decent paint store, hardware store, or home center that sells Zinsser products. Other Zinsser products include Seal Coat, Clear Shellac, and Amber Shellac.

It's sold as a primer - sealer - stain killer. Look near the Kilz.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 10:37:43 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r . Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

the local orange box here isn't all that swift...last time i looked for this stuff, it was in with some other cleaning supplies...

"it says it covers stains. . ." the kid said to me with an "i wish i was gettin high out by the dumpsters right now" look

figures, i should have known,,,i feel so dumb...lmao

Traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

Likewise, what's Kilz? Aren't they different brands of the same thing?

Reply to
Allen

For my shop cabinets, I used regular primer followed by Hammerite (in a normal paint can -- not the spray). Hammerite leaves a nice hammered finish. It's designed for metal surfaces, but works GREAT on MDF, and has the added bonus of making your cabinets look ultra durable (which they are, because hammerite is a very durable paint). Also, the cabinets now match my Grizzly tools, which is a plus. :)

Good luck, David

p.s. Be sure you use a respirator, and plenty of ventilation -- hammerite is some stinky stuff!

Reply to
David Henkemeyer

Definitely not. I get much better results with BIN over both Kilz and Kilz2 when priming MDF.

They may be similar products when used as stain killers, but they sure aren't similar if you sand them.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .