Painting MDF

Can emulsion paint be applied directly to MDF?

Reply to
dcbwhaley

obviously.

Reply to
.

Yup! Works well.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No, it melts it.

Reply to
Rob

I get better results by priming it with a coat of emulsion diluted about

15%. This both seals the surface and raises a kind of 'grain'. A rub down with 240 grit then, before two top coats. I use a mini roller.

R.

Reply to
Richard Downing

depends how far away it is.

Reply to
johnty

I've used "MDF primer" (from Screwfix) which seals the surface but doesn't raise the grain. Could be emulsion with a much higher PVA content maybe? Tim Hardisty. Please remove HAT before replying by email.

Reply to
Tim Hardisty

Yes. However MDF does shrink a little, and you get fine hairline cracks appearing between butted panels.

I am contemplating lining paper...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher