Paint-grade corners

...I've done stain-grade mitered corners before, with solid wood, of course...heh. I am now involved with a mantle/hearth project that is going to be coated with a composit varnish (white) that I've used before on smaller solid wood items (properly applied, it'll help small imperfections to disappear. Any advice on material for this endeavor? I'm thinking paint-grade ply, moldings and bondo...has anyone tried MDF or related materials?...thoughts?
Charlie Groh
Don't use bondo. It will expand and contract at different rate than the wood or MDF or MDO. Especially around a fireplace. I would use MDF or MDO and try to get your joints as close as possible. Use GOOD caulk not painters grade caulk. I use the DAP white stuff with the light blue and black label. I think it's 25 year kinda caulk. Use better if you can swing it. Don't caulk joints over 1/8 in. in one shot. Use Zinnser Cover-Stain oil primer, 2 coats with a 220 or 180 scuff between coats. I like to use 2 finish coats after primer is dry for 24 hours.

going
...thanks for the input...interesting 'bout the bondo, around here (SoCal) it's prevelant amongst the paint people and, come to think of it, close to water (ocean-type) I've seen gaps where MDF crown has been bondoed and laquered (when I come back for something unrelated, after, say, 3 or 4 months...generally I do doors and odd projects)...I just thought it was the POS MDF molding...didn't think of the difference 'tween the two materials. cg

imperfections