Padauk Plane Tote

I am in the process of restoring an old plane (a user). The tote was in very bad shape and I made a new one out of padauk and I thought I would ask for suggestions for a finish. I am leaning towards teak oil and then 5-6 top coats of shellac, but I wonder if that would be durable enough. Any ideas?
Glen
Use your skin oil. As you use the tool the tote will acquire a very nice patina.

Actually, you can polish wood just like do do steel or brass. Easier way to acquire the paitina some desire.
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 08:53:15 -0400, "Roger and Missy Behnke"

The handling is going to wear off any finish you put on there. I'd just go with oil. Keep in mind the Padauk is going to oxidize and darken considerably - naturally and from the oils and dirt in your hands. Any top coat will keep the color longer, but I really don't think it will last very long with use.