Overly simplistic difference 'tween Splitters and Riving Knifes?

...is it, more or less, the shape? Riving knives curve up and over the blade, where (some) splitters are mere posts behind the blade?
or is it because riving knives move up/down with the blade height?

They remain a small fixed distance from the blade at any height or angle.
On a cut with the splitter, the lower the blade, the greater the opportunity for kickback.
Myx
You understand the differences. A moving riving knife is more complicated than a fixed splitter. I wish we had 'em here. As I understand it, OSHA is all hung up on anti-kickback pawls. I have yet to see a riving knife set up with anti kickback pawls, too. Oh, I take that back. I think the Ryobi BT3100 has it. Anyway, I understand the anti-kickback pawls are not required in Europe, but the Riving knife is.
I think the Europeans got it right.
Bob

AYUP, both work well.
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:37:18 GMT, "Bob Davis"

PM66 has it!
snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net wrote:

Myx
Must be on a newer model. The PM66 on display at my dealer's does not have a riving knife.
Bob