Riving knife

Okay, everybody here says that they are great. Would somebody kindly explain what it is?

I'm an amateur!

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Don't usually encourage indiscrimate use, but in this case Wikipeida gets the point across fairly well:

Swingman

I riving knife is used behind the table saw blade instead og the guard and splitter on almost all table saws. by 2010 they will be mandortory on table saws to get them GL approved. Let know if I can be of more help

Randy

randyswoodshoop

Scroll down this page 'til you get to Splitter and Riving knife illustration.

might want to start at the beginning and go through most of the ways a table saw can hurl a piece of wood at you. It's not just those sharp spinning carbide things you have to worry about. The wood can hurt you too.

is power. If you understand how AND why something can hurt you then you can figure out HOW to minimize the likelyhood that it will hurt you.

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

You're on! Whatinthehell is "GL"?

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Sorry I ment UL approved for underwriters laboratorie These are considered the safest thing for a table saw.

Reply to
randyswoodshoop

Thanks everybody. Now I know. Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

You might like to try

Jeff Gorman

...and have been in some areas of the rest of the world for a couple of decades :)

Reply to
Mike